Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer freezes when playing online games  (Read 9455 times)

Bzoeker

Topic Starter

Starter

Computer freezes when playing online games
    « on: February 17, 2010, 04:09:06 AM »
    Hey guyz,

First of all, thanks for helping me with this extremely annoying matter. Here is my problem:
    Everytime when I play an online game, for example: Perfect World Internation or World of Warcraft (and even Team Fortress 2), the game freezes after playing for a while (Between 20 and 40 minutes), and the only exit is the reset-button.
    The first thing I did was updating my videocard (drivers, if I'm right?) --> NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT
    Now this worked for a while, I could play 1 hour straight in a row and then it froze again.
    Its very annoying. With offline-games like Mass Effect 2 and Bioshock 2, I dont have any problems at all.
    It seriously is only my online-games. Sometimes I'm only able to play for 1 min and it already freezes.
    Note: I'm quite a noob when it comes to programming and stuff with the computer :)

Thanks in advance for helping me!
    -Cheers, Bzoeker

cintari

Re: Computer freezes when playing online games
    « Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 05:28:18 AM »
    first of:
    pc specs, gimme
    internet connection(i.e. dsl, modem, etc.)
    internet provider(i.e. brighthouse, verizon, etc.)

Bzoeker

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 02:40:20 PM »
      Sorry for the late reaction!

My computer has Windows XP
      Internet Connection --> Very high, sofar I know, using a internet modem
      Internet Provider --> A very dutch one, said to give me a download speed of 100 mb/s

Dunno of the above will help anything, but we have a second computer where this problem doesnt occur at all. Its only this computer. I hope someone knows of this problem and knows how to handle it.

Thanks in advance,
      -Bzoeker

Mulreay

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 04:53:47 PM »
      Sounds like a temp issue to me. Download http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php Speed Fan
      and check your temps. You may need to have a clear out of the fans and heat sinks.

Let me know the temps and if you need help with cleaning.

DO NOT clean it out if you do not know what your doing. We will help to make it safe.

Bzoeker

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 10:42:11 AM »
        Alright, I did some Temperature-checks for you:

Normal Temperature......|........Temperature while gaming

CPU = 2700 MHz.....................2700 MHz
        CPU = 25 Celcius......................42 Celcius
        Core #1 = 32 Celcius.................41 Celcius
        Core #2 = 27 Celcius................38 Celcius
        CPU Voltage = 1.36 V.............1.34 V
        Core #1 Load = 11%................60%
        Core #2 Load = 3%..................44%
        GFX Temp = 35 Celcius.............37 Celcius

Between those temperatures is a playing time of five minutes.

Thanks in advance,
        -Bzoeker
        « Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 10:54:11 AM by Bzoeker »

Millkman

Rookie
        • alright
          « Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 03:10:28 AM »
          defo somethings overheating, might be your graphics card. Probably going to wanna get that looked at/changed. Is your computer really hot or normal temperature?

Is there dust in and around the fan?

could be a broken fan?

I had the same problem with my REALLLLLY old dell pc. Wasnt worth gettin fixed so i just gave it to a mate. 8)
          yeee bwoii

Rebo00 aka Spank

Beginner

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 01:50:11 PM »
            I wouldn't have gone for heat issue but the guys may be right. Bioshock 2 is beast of game compared to WoW.

Have you tried running WoW on the lowest graphic settings and does that make a difference to the amount of time you have before it freezes?

Run WoW in its windowed mode and see if it still freezes, if it does you can then just X it or access Task Manager if it is only crashing the game.

FG1536

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 09:12:55 AM »
            I had some really bad crashes with Bioshock 2 when it first came out but it ended up being my graphics card. I installed ATI tools and found out my card was running 98c! Safe to say it died shortly afterwards!

Rebo00 aka Spank

Beginner

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 10:58:43 AM »
              Hi FG1536,

It was caused by the graphics card shooting up to 500fps which it shouldn't be doing. I limited the FPS to the screen refresh rate (vsync) and all games work fine now :)

rascalian

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2010, 12:49:50 AM »
              I would of thought it was the cpu overheating, oh well maybe a good time to give the fans and heatsinks a clean up anyway

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
                • Yes
                • Yes
              • Certifications: List
              • Computer: Specs
              • Experience: Expert
              « Reply #10 on: November 15, 2010, 02:35:37 PM »
              Hi FG1536,

It was caused by the graphics card shooting up to 500fps which it shouldn't be doing. I limited the FPS to the screen refresh rate (vsync) and all games work fine now :)
              Looking at those temperatures, I don't believe temperature to be a factor here
              Todays CPUs and Graphics cards (okay so it isnt the newest on the block, but its not exactly old) are capable of operating at 60 Degrees celcius just fine, and most will operate up to 80 Degrees Celcius.

The high frame rates could be the issue, try enabling the V-sync option to forced in the nVidia control panel, this will be under the 3D settings. TF2 and WoW are by no means graphic intensive games, so it could be a miss-sync

The other issue could possibly be with your network adapter driver. Try updating this from your motherboard's website.