Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Setting Up a Slave Hard Drive  (Read 13693 times)

Barry

Setting Up a Slave Hard Drive
« on: June 12, 2004, 05:59:40 AM »
I have 1 hard drive in my Gateway computer.  I want to add a 2nd hard drive.  Does anyone know where the jumpers should go on the Master and the Slave?

Thanks

Raptor

Re: Setting Up a Slave Hard Drive
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2004, 08:00:59 AM »
I donot believe I can be of much help here, so far I have installed about three hard disks and that's been a while ago.

On each harddisk, there should be a sticker on top telling you how to set the jumpers in order to set them to Slave, Master or Automatic. (If there are no stickers on top of them, you might want to stop by at the manufacturer's website to check for manuals)

I donot quite recall what I have done, but I believe I set them both to Automatic and set everything straight in the BIOS. Telling what disk should be the master and what disk should be the slave.

MalikTous

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2004, 09:39:12 PM »
If you have a straight-through 40 pin or 80 pin cable, set the master drive to 'Master with Slave' or 'Single/Master' setting, and the slave drive to 'Slave'. This varies with the drive make.

If you have a Cable Select 40-pin cable (identified by 2 crossed over wires between the drive connectors) or 80 pin cable (usually done internally in the connectors), place the jumpers on both drives to Cable Select, and mount the primary drive on the far end connector and the slave on the middle one.

If trying the Master/Slave jumper pair doesn't seem to work, try it with Cable Select. Many times the cables are poorly marked as to what their configuration is.

Also, some drive makes have a history of not co-operating with other hard drive brands on the same cable. In this case, use the slave connection of your CDROM cable and secondary IDE channel and copy the partition over if necessary, so that your faster drive ends up as your primary master and the slower one runs as master or slave opposite the CDROM or CDRW.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2004, 12:09:06 AM »
    Barry....The original drive should be set as the MASTER ( there will be a tag on the drive indicating which pins to jumper.....The drive you are putting in should be set to SLAVE......I assume that the drives are being connected using the flat IDE cable......be sure that when you plug in the ide cable that you have the referance marker towards the 4 pin power socket.
    Hope this helps you .

dl65  ???
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.