Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Best FREE anti-spyware program? (must be conflict-free with avast! home)  (Read 3536 times)

kzahid06

I am currently running:

Avast! Free Edition
Windows Defender
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (free edition)
Windows Firewall

I don't like Windows Defender. I want to replace it with another, free, reliable anti-spyware program. What should I use? SOMETHING THAT IS CONFLICT-FREE WITH AVAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And overall, do i have good protection?

EDIT: Apparently, Avast! auto-updates every 240 minutes, by default. I thought it updated immediately when there were new virus definitions? Can I set it so that it updates like this?

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Best FREE anti-spyware program? (must be conflict-free with avast! home)
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 07:44:04 AM »
1) You cannot set an av to update when there are new definitions - how would it know?
2) I don't care for Windows Defender either and I always disable it on all of my systems. You're fine without it. The only thing I would add to what you already use is SpywareBlaster free edition. It does NOT run resident and you need to remember to update it about once a week. It blocks known malicious web sites. Other than that you should be fine.