Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Is this enough to keep me reasonable safe?  (Read 3216 times)

BobLewiston

Topic Starter

Beginner

Is this enough to keep me reasonable safe?
    « on: February 20, 2010, 01:06:57 PM »
    OK, I did my homework, so is this all I'm gonna need (in addition to safe surfing practices)?

OS:....................................... ...........Windows XP Pro (version 5.1) SP3
    anti-virus:....................................... ..Avast Free 5.0.418
    firewall:....................................... ......PC Tools Firewall Plus Free 6.0.0.74
    anti-malware blocker:..........................SpywareBlaste r 4.2
    anti-malware scanner / removers:..........Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.44 freeware
    ....................................... ................SUPERAntiSpyware freeware 4.33.1000
    clean-up utility:..................................Glary Utilities 2.20.0.831
    browser:....................................... .....Internet Explorer 8

Assuming IE8 is like IE7, here are the security settings I'll use:
    * Zone: Trusted sites
       * Security level for this zone: Medium-high
    * Zone: Internet
       * Security level for this zone: High <-- Medium-high to download^
       * Custom Level button :
          * ActiveX controls and plug-ins:
             * Download signed ActiveX controls…………………………………………………………..Prompt
             * Download unsigned ActiveX controls………………………………………….…………..Disable
             * Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe for scripting…..Disable
             * Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins…………………………………………....……………Enable
             * Script ActiveX controls marked safe for scripting………………………….……….Enable
          * Miscellaneous:
             * Installation of desktop items……………………………………………………………….….Prompt
             * Launching programs and files in an IFRAME…………………………….………………Prompt
             * Navigate sub-frames across different domains……………………………....…….Prompt

^ For some reason, IE7 requires me to do this even at a Trusted Site and even with:
    1. "require server verification..." unselected, and
    2. Security level for Trusted sites zone set at Medium-high.

And if my NetGear WGR614v6 wireless router is capable of it, I'll put its firewall into "stealth" mode (to drop incoming packets rather than denying them, which supposedly makes you invisible to some attackers).

And should I go to OpenDNS.org for a free secure DNS source?

And does anybody know if enabling Java in the browser constitutes a vulnerability to malware? How about Javascript?

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Is this enough to keep me reasonable safe?
    « Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 01:08:19 PM »
    You're fine.

spock

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 08:37:31 AM »
        I think Avast AV is probably the BEST freeware AV program. I gone into several
      known "unsafe" websites just to test it out. So far, so good. I think a good AV program is the most important software you can have on your computer. When reloading a computer o.s. it is the first thing I put in after I put in all the drivers.
      I try to put it in before I go online (unless I download it from the website-and then the first thing I do after downloading and installing it is to run a virus scan).
      AVG used to be pretty good and I used it for a long time. But lately, it doesn't
      seem to "cut the mustard". Avira is a little better.
         I had a third party firewall in my computer recently and it started blocking all
      incoming traffic even when turned off. I had no luck with telephone tech service,
      so the technician came out and  determined it was the firewall. He said the firewall supplied
      by Windows XP is good enough and I don't need a third party firewall. I've
      always read that the Windows firewall is rather weak, that's why I installed a third-party firewall. Anyhoo...I uninstalled the firewall and have had no problems since...
         Some of these clean-up programs are pretty good. I use Advanced System Care.
      It's pretty good and free. Also two good programs you can buy at WalMart are
      Fix-It Utilities and System Mechanic. Both are good and cost about $30 ea./year.  (unless the price has gone up recently-it's for a one-year's subscription).
      Personally, I don't like subscription-based software. I'd rather pay once and pay
      $200-300 and use it as long as I want, and in all my computers than pay $30 a
      year for each computer. I try to avoid subscription-based software whenever possible, but it's getting more difficult to do.
        Periodically cleaning out the prefetch folder will help improve the startup time of your computer.
         There's also a program called WOT (Web Of Trust) which I may have mentioned
      earlier. It is free and will notify you of potentially dangerous websites. It also has a plug-in for Firefox.
        I'm sure these things will keep you reasonably safe.
       ;D
      "It's always something!"-Gilda Radner

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 08:50:42 AM »

Fix-It Utilities and System Mechanic. Both are good and cost about $30 ea./year.  (unless the price has gone up recently-it's for a one-year's subscription).

Periodically cleaning out the prefetch folder will help improve the startup time of your computer.

;D
      1) DO NOT use any registry cleaners or utilities
      2) DO NOT "clean out" the prefetch folder