Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: hard drive full  (Read 2169 times)

jajay

hard drive full
« on: February 21, 2010, 06:25:00 PM »
i have an external hard drive on which i have saved all my documents pictures etc.  e mule is set to send incoming files to external hard drive.  i have run disc clean up but my internal hard disk is still full. What is happening?

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
Re: hard drive full
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 06:05:54 AM »
You have not provided enough information for anyone to help. However, if you say you are downloading torrents or p2p files to the drive I wouldn't be surprised if there's some malware involved.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 12:02:35 PM »
i have run disc clean up but my internal hard disk is still full. What is happening?

if your drive was full before then making new files go to another drive will not magically make the drive "unfull" again. you still need to delete files from it to free up space.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

killerb255

Adviser
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 12:57:29 PM »
    What BC_Programmer said.

Nothing short of actually removing a large portion of what you have on that drive is going to free up disk space. 

It's the same principle as cleaning up a compulsive hoarder's house.  Just wiping off the counters is not going to clean up the mess--the hoarder needs to get rid of some of his/her junk! (either that or get a storage unit, but they'll just fill that up as well...)
    Quote from: talontromper
    Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.