Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: multiple monitors feature  (Read 2801 times)

lunadon

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

multiple monitors feature
    « on: February 22, 2010, 12:06:52 PM »
    I know what it is, I've had it set up for years, my monitors are working-they identify properly, I can drag a window from 1 to 2, but I cannot see my mouse pointer on monitor 2. I've tried everything, short of replacing the video card (i shouldn't have to, it sees the monitor fine) I have, run updates(none found), switched the monitor for another known good monitor, ect. I am nearly an expert in PC's, I just can't figure this one out. It stopped working yesterday for no reason.
    Once again, I can see what's on the monitor, I can drag a window there, I just cannot see my mouse pointer when I try to go there. Where can I look for information-I have googled this for two days and I get nothing except how to set up multiple monitors-I already did that successfully. Thank you in advance for your help. Sincerely, Karen

killerb255

Adviser
      • Experience: Expert
      Re: multiple monitors feature
      « Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 12:54:37 PM »
      Have you tried downloading updated video drivers for your video card?  This isn't the same as running Windows Updates.  If you have an nVidia card, go to http://www.nvidia.com.  If you have an ATI card, go to http://ati.amd.com
      Quote from: talontromper
      Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.

lunadon

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 01:37:31 PM »
        Thx, yes, there were no updates, only their "control tool", which I downloaded and ran,  and I says everything is working properly. ATI Radeon 7500 series.

killerb255

Adviser
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 04:09:43 PM »
          Yikes...I've always had driver problems with ATI Radeon cards older than the 9800 series (the 9800 series and up = all good).

In fact, every card before the 9800 series that I've tried with dual monitors, I've had problems ranging from BSODs to one monitor going nuts.  Granted, others' mileage may vary, my experience with those particular models hasn't been the best...

You could try switching monitors (put the one you have as Monitor 1 in the port for Monitor 2 and vice versa).  If the exact same monitor is having that problem, then it's the monitor.  If the opposite monitor is having the same problem, then it's your video card or its drivers.  Also check the monitor cables and make sure none of them have bent pins within their connectors...

Failing the above, try a different video card.  Borrow one from someone else or another PC and see what happens.

Quote from: talontromper
          Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.

lunadon

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 05:11:57 PM »
            Thank you very much, I switched the monitors and the problem must lie in the video card. I will switch video cards in a few days, bummer.  As I said, it seems weird that the only thing not working on monitor two is the mouse pointer, otherwise it checks out OK.  You're right, it must be the card.  I just wanted to be absolutely sure I wasn't missing some setting in Windows XP. But I know this operating system extremely well so I'm glad I ran this by you guys.
            This is my first time in a forum like this, I hope to become a regular-not with problems- with solutions. Thx

lunadon

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 05:22:19 PM »
              OK, it's now back the way it was-I mean it fixed itself. Intermittent problem? We'll see, I have done nothing to it and it's fixed-you guys are amazing, ha, ha.
              I still plan to change the video card, though. Thx again-I know, I'm nuts!

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
              • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
                • Yes
                • Yes
                • BC-Programming.com
              • Certifications: List
              • Computer: Specs
              • Experience: Beginner
              « Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 05:27:55 PM »
              if possible you could reduce hardware acceleration for that monitor's card.

in the Display Settings dialog, on the settings tab, click the Advanced button. On the dialog that then appears, choose the "troubleshoot" tab. reduce the slider by one notch (which disables hardware rendering of some bitmaps and the cursor). Apply and reboot. This should make things less annoying until you are able to replace the card.  :)
              I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

lunadon

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 05:56:59 PM »
                OK, so far so good, I followed your advice, (decreased the acceleration) and it seems OK for now, thank you. It does mention "mouse pointer" problem.  Is it possible that I was using too much "juice" on my USB ports?  I have a Dell Dimension 8200, Pent. 4, CPU 2.26GHz, 2.25GHz, 1.00GB of ram.  Just a thought, thx again

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
                  • Yes
                  • Yes
                  • BC-Programming.com
                • Certifications: List
                • Computer: Specs
                • Experience: Beginner
                « Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 06:06:25 PM »
                Is it possible that I was using too much "juice" on my USB ports? 

I'm not sure how USB ports would come into the equation.
                I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

lunadon

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 10:29:29 PM »
                  Yeah, me neither, I just thought it might be some kind of power supply from the motherboard issue.

lunadon

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 09:07:35 AM »
                    Solved the issue:

The card was simply loose in the mount. Many Dell desktops have that green pushdown thing that holds the cards in place, well I put screws into all of the mounts and everything is working perfectly. :)