Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: \windows\system32\config\system  (Read 4027 times)

sonofagun

Topic Starter

Rookie

\windows\system32\config\system
    « on: February 24, 2010, 01:41:24 AM »
    I was deleting some antivirus' as directed by the CA tech help people as I was trying to install the new CA internet security suite 2010, and something bad happened and now all I get when I turn it on is this; windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt.\windows\system32\config\system  I dont have the original setup CD-ROM. It is windows xp. I have tried the F8 button to start in safe mode, no good. CA gave up and said I should take it to a technician, any ideas?
    BAD computer.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: \windows\system32\config\system
    « Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 05:21:19 AM »
    Download the Windows Recovery Console .iso (http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?showtopic=150212) and burn it to CD.

Boot to the XP CD and select R (Recovery Console)

At the command prompt type:

ren c:\windows\system32\config\system system.old
    copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config

Reboot

sonofagun

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 10:25:59 PM »
      Thanks Allan, as I couldn't borrow a working computer to read your reply until much later, I took it to some repair shops. The first one quoted at least $135 and they were not sure if it would work, so I took it to a more reputable one where they worked on it for 4 hours doing all sorts of secret computer technician stuff. I was freaking out thinking this will cost a fortune but it was only $35. They managed to save all my important desktop stuff, documents and pictures, and they must have put a new windows xp in because I had to download all new programmes like msn hotmail and homepage and startup is empty. (good). I'm sure your method would have worked and I hope it helps others, and I will stay away from CA. :)
      BAD computer.

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 05:21:37 AM »
      Sorry you had to spend anything. It's a common issue and solution. Well, as long as you're up and running now... :)