Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Loud annoying beep when comp starts up..  (Read 2353 times)

Leetzorz

Topic Starter

Loud annoying beep when comp starts up..
    « on: March 04, 2010, 03:34:42 PM »
    For the 2 weeks i was waiting for my HDD my computer fell.. On it's side (wooden floor). I knew it was gona do some damage and i found out what damage it did.. Not exactly though.

Once i installed the HDD i went to start up my computer for the first time since the fall.  When i started the computer up there was a loud annoying continous beep / tone.

I've tried replugging all the wires in the computer, checking to see if my processor was still in place,  and looked up beep codes.

I found that a long continous one was an Over heating.. Which doesn't make any since after i just started up the computer at room temperature.

I have no clue what's going on and i came to you guys for help / more infornmation.  I'll be ontop of this topic every second i can get.

Thanks,
    Matt

truenorth

Guru

Re: Loud annoying beep when comp starts up..
      « Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 04:43:36 PM »
      Many aspects of overheating are related to non functioning fans (but not all). A wooden floor is a very hard surface to impact even from only a few feet. The fact that your computer is in a room temperature environment is far less a consideration than what the temperature inside the computer or some components of the computer hardware such as the CPU. As a start i would open one side of the tower and observe the fans when you 1st turn the power on. You may see one (or more) that aren't turning. You can also try while you have the side open to direct a house fan into the open side and see if it will allow the computer to boot. But you are quite right there is likely damage. We hope it is minimal.truenorth
      P.S. As far as the fans are concerned don't forget the one inside the power supply cage--which you will need to observe through the screening at the rear of the tower.

Junkz

Rookie
      • SMD
        « Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 04:44:59 PM »
        One thing to remember is that NO (correct me if I'm wrong) Motherboard Will give you a beep code after the first code.
        What i'm meaning is the computer, when you boot your OS, will only beep one code rather than all of the issues your computer has from the damage.

From what you've described your motherboard most likely has taken damage from the fall and/or your hardware also.

Boot straight into safe mode or if you can't make it that far, try booting from your OS installation disc.

If that fails buy some new heatsinks or fans?
        Since your beep code indicates overheating.
        Also have you overclocked your PC at any point?

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 05:03:01 PM »
          At this point i would not recommend buying anything until you can advance your knowledge as to WHAT is damaged and needs replacement.truenorth

Junkz

Rookie
          • SMD
            « Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 05:05:49 PM »
            To gain that knowledge of what is wrong,
            try not to be a hero and instead, take it into your nearest computer repair store.
             :)