Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Intermittent shutdown when plugging in to USB post  (Read 3558 times)

earlk

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Intermittent shutdown when plugging in to USB post
    « on: March 09, 2010, 08:56:40 AM »
    I have Windows7 Ultimate - 32 bit for my OS. Every so often my computer will shut down when I insert a thumb drive or other device into any USB port. It occurs maybe once every 5 plug ins, and it doesn't matter which device I'm using.

I was told by the shop that built my system that the problem is with Win 7 and that Microsoft is aware of it, and has a 'fix' for affected machines.

I have been unable to locate the issue on the Microsoft website.

Can anyone help?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Intermittent shutdown when plugging in to USB post
    « Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 09:01:46 AM »
    To my knowledge this is not a Win7 issue or glitch...

Sounds like a bad port to me...
    Is it just the one ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

earlk

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 04:02:18 AM »
      Sounds like a bad port to me... Is it just the one ? ?

I have 2 USB ports on the front. Both have the same issue, but it is only an intermittent problem.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 03:16:08 PM »
      With most big box manuf. there are issues with the front ports being underpowered...
      Use the rear ports when possible and/or connect an addon powered USB hub would be the easiest solution.

earlk

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 12:11:29 PM »
        With most big box manuf. there are issues with the front ports being underpowered...
        Use the rear ports when possible and/or connect an addon powered USB hub would be the easiest solution.

Thanks for the tips. Something to definitely consider. 

Veltas

Intermediate

• Yes
        • Certifications: List
        « Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 12:26:24 PM »
        When it shuts down does it just suddenly switch off?

Sounds like either faulty hardware or software.  I'd rule out software first really, check that all drivers are up-to-date and make sure there aren't any USB or general updates on the Manufacturer's support site for your PC.

earlk

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 09:15:04 AM »
          Yep, when it acts up, the computer just shuts off.

All drivers are up to date.

soybean

Genius
          • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 11:03:07 AM »
          I have Windows7 Ultimate - 32 bit for my OS. Every so often my computer will shut down when I insert a thumb drive or other device into any USB port. It occurs maybe once every 5 plug ins, and it doesn't matter which device I'm using.

I have 2 USB ports on the front. Both have the same issue, but it is only an intermittent problem.

First, you said "any USB port", but later you refer to the "2 USB ports on the front".  Does this happen with ports on back, also?

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 11:05:49 AM »
          Sounds like the front header is shorting out...i wouldn't use it personally...

earlk

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2010, 12:09:26 PM »
            First, you said "any USB port", but later you refer to the "2 USB ports on the front".  Does this happen with ports on back, also?

Thanks for catching me on that. The ports in the back are not a problem... they have my printer, scanner and keyboard (always plugged in). The two at the front is where I will plug in a card reader/camera, thumb drive or a phono unit. Any device into either of the 2 ports at the front will cause the problem. Again, most of the time there is no issue. Very intermittent.

soybean

Genius
            • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
            • Experience: Experienced
            « Reply #10 on: March 13, 2010, 12:59:36 PM »
            I have the same problem with my tower PC running Win XP.  In my case, the computer restarts rather than just shutdown. It's as though I had hit reset button on front. 

Based on observation, it seems to be more likely to happen when humidity is low.  In other words, it seems as though the front USB ports have extreme sensitivity to the slightest electrical contact when the humidity is low and the chance of static electricity being generated by walking across the carpeted floor is  present.

So, I usually, although not always, avoid using the front ports.  If you still have unused ports on back, a USB extension cord is a way to maintain the convenience of having access to them up front.  Here's one: Nippon Labs Beige 3 ft. USB cable A/Male to A/Female extension USB cable Model USB-3-MF .  If you don't have any more open ports on back without disconnecting a device you normally leave connected, additional ports can be added by installing a PCI USB card, such as ones listed here

mypersonaltechadvisor

Rookie
              « Reply #11 on: March 13, 2010, 10:11:08 PM »
              I had a similar problem, but with Windows XP. About two months ago I was restoring a friend's computer. It was an older Gateway desktop. Turned out it was a driver issue. I used the driver that Microsoft provided through Windows Update instead of the driver that came on the Gateway driver disc. When I restored the system for the second time, I used the Gateway driver disc first, then applied updates from Windows Update and never had a problem.

For what it's worth, it was all six ports - 4 on the back and 2 in front - that caused the issue. If I plugged in anything besides a keyboard and mouse, the computer just shut down immediately as if I pulled the plug.

You might try getting a powered USB hub for < $30 and plug it into one of the good read USB ports. Otherwise, if it is a new purchase, I would return it or tell the shop where
              you got it to fix it. If you still have a warranty, they should cover it. They should search for the fix for you since you are the customer.

Good luck!
              Jesse
              Want a little extra help? Come on over to www.mypersonaltechadvisor.com.

earlk

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2010, 04:32:39 AM »
                Thanks guys, I'll most likely take it back to the shop as the 'puter is new.

Veltas

Intermediate

• Yes
                • Certifications: List
                « Reply #13 on: March 15, 2010, 02:29:00 PM »
                It's as though I had hit reset button on front.

I haven't seen a reset button in years... do they still feel the same, that good ol' feeling of giving up and trashing Windows for Workgroups when it's really just got up and gone to the shops for some of Millie's cookies.