Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Old Presario 1998 Issues  (Read 2225 times)

gamerx365

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • Radda Radda!
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Old Presario 1998 Issues
« on: March 11, 2010, 09:12:39 PM »
Trying to resurrect my outdated Presario. I don't know if the CD drive is bad, but the Hard Drive went bad and I got a new (used) one, however the drive wont be detected on my operational computer when connected. Is this drive probably bad too? I can't get to the BIOS on the old Presario because I hear you need a boot partition for a compaq, which that Hard drive is gone and it doesn't look like I can get anything on this one. Should I admit defeat, or do you have any Ideas?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Old Presario 1998 Issues
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 10:18:23 PM »
well, without the setup partition, you cannot get into the BIOS setup. (this is simply awful design! I mean, my 286 could get into it's CMOS setup without a disk...)

anyway, you didn't provide an exact model number- a google tells me that it's probably a 5140.

There are references to a "setup disk", a floppy disk that could be used to access the CMOS screens.

Compaq thankfully has a good page of files relating to that model:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=20&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=93092&lang=en

try the two items listed at the bottom, titled "system management".

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

gamerx365

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • Radda Radda!
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 06:34:46 PM »
The floppy drive is also not installed. Do you think it would be worth while to pick one of those up as well?

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 07:38:56 PM »
You can get to the BIOS on those old Compaq's, I had a few and they are a PIA.  When you see the red flashing block in the upper right hand corner of the screen, tap the F10 key.  I think you see if just prior to the red Compaq splash screen.