Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Safe Mode & wireless keyboards  (Read 2304 times)

Kath2

Topic Starter

Rookie

Safe Mode & wireless keyboards
    « on: March 12, 2010, 01:50:34 PM »
    I tried to boot in safe mode recently and it just booted up as it should instead of booting in safe mode. I hit F8 just as I've always done and it used to work. I tried this so many times and it never worked. I ran virus, spyware, & malware scans. I've also tried to do a repair installation and my keyboard doesn't respond. I'll hit enter, etc. and it's just like I haven't touched a thing. I've had this computer for several years and it came with this wireless keyboard. Why have I been able to access Safe Mode by hitting F8 all of those years and now it has suddenly stopped and I can't use my keyboard unless Windows is loaded. I have changed the batteries and hit reset on the receiver but it doesn't make any difference. I have had too many times over the years when Windows would not load in a normal way and I would have to hit F8 and boot in Safe Mode to make repairs, etc. and it would work with this keyboard then so why not now? I prefer to keep it working because one day, I will need it again. I downloaded the bios update for this computer today and installed it but it didn't help a bit. Can anyone explain this and what should I do?

talldude123

Rookie

• I enjoy computers as well as public transit.
      Re: Safe Mode & wireless keyboards
      « Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 05:36:52 PM »
      Hi there,

Silly question, but are you having troubles going into safe mode then? Start your PC, and as it's at the loading screen for Windows, do a hard boot (Press the power button and hold it down until it shuts down). Then when you boot again, it should ask if you want to boot into safe mode, or normal boot.
      Woman - "Slow down, foreplay is an art"
      Man - "Well, if you don't get your canvas arranged soon, I'm gonna spill my paint!"

Kath2

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 06:40:05 AM »
        Hi there,

Silly question, but are you having troubles going into safe mode then? Start your PC, and as it's at the loading screen for Windows, do a hard boot (Press the power button and hold it down until it shuts down). Then when you boot again, it should ask if you want to boot into safe mode, or normal boot.
        I can get into Safe mode in 3 ways, one is if Windows loads and I go to msconfig and change the boot up to diagnostic, a hard boot as you suggested,  and the other is if I connect a wired keyboard to my computer. I borrowed my husband's keyboard, which is wired, and connected it and I could get into safe mode. Everything worked as it should with his keyboard. If my keyboard is connected, I can't get into safe mode, I can't boot from cd because it says "hit key to boot from cd" and my keyboard doesn't respond. But, who wants to have to borrow a keyboard every time you need to reinstall windows, etc. Does it sound like it's on last keys?

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 09:02:07 AM »
        I'd just buy a PS2 keyboard for yourself to keep for times like this...
        You may want to check in the BIOS to see if "legacy USB support" is enabled although not all have this option...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Kath2

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 09:18:59 AM »
          I'd just buy a PS2 keyboard for yourself to keep for times like this...
          You may want to check in the BIOS to see if "legacy USB support" is enabled although not all have this option...

I'm sorry I forgot to mention while I was using a keyboard that worked, I checked my settings and "legacy USB support" was enabled. I was thinking about purchasing a PS2 keyboard if this is the way wireless are going to be. Thanks for your time.