Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: sounds is ok but music not  (Read 3922 times)

Firesparks

Topic Starter

Starter

sounds is ok but music not
    « on: March 16, 2010, 06:03:09 PM »
    hi esteemed forum members

i am having some problems with sound/music/speakers

i have a philips 5.1 surround sound system

Music only comes out of the front right speaker
    but strangely when i test the speakers - right click the volume icon bottom right, click on playback devices and test my CMI8738/C3DX PCI audio device all my speakers are fine - each one in turn tests ok for the test sound.

i am running windows Vista

My sound card is a sweex 5.1 PCI sound card

I have disabled High definition sound in the bios

What can i try next? any advice greatly appreciated

JJ 3000

Egghead
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: sounds is ok but music not
    « Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 06:37:40 PM »
    Did it ever work?
    Save a Life!
    Adopt a homeless pet.
    http://www.petfinder.com/

Firesparks

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 04:26:12 AM »
      yes at my previous address my pet rats had gradually attacked the wires of my 5.1 system so in turn i removed the speakers and generaly considered myself lucky to get any sound at all. towards the end it sounded really bad but the spagetti junction of wires in poor to reach places stopped me from attempting a total overhall.
      just moved to a new address and have mended all speaker wires - everything is neatly connected behind protective boards - the base will sit on the floor and the others will sit out of reach.
      i'm thinking its a settings issue.

computersecurity

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 04:18:46 AM »
        Go to device manager by typing devmgmt.msc in run menu. Then see whether all your drivers are working properly. Try to reinstall all your drivers properly.

Firesparks

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 11:14:45 AM »
          hi thanks for advice so far. I delayed working on my problem till i bought new speakers...

Got the new speakers today but still same problem.

So i thought it was a prob with the sound card so i removed it and am now using the onboard sound instead.

but still sound only coming from the right.

Eh??? It used to work now it doesn't how come?

i do appreciate this is not a driver issue but can anyone either help or point me in the right direction?

Firesparks

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 12:45:18 PM »
            okay just spent last hour vacuuming out graphics card in preparation for adding jumpers to motherboard which i have duly done as recommended in motherboard book and here... http://forums.beyondunreal.com/archive/index.php/t-109274.html

only to discover it was a winamp problem ha ha ha ha ha ha ;D

Gin

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 12:47:23 PM »
              yes at my previous address my pet rats had gradually attacked the wires of my 5.1 system so in turn i removed the speakers and generaly considered myself lucky to get any sound at all. towards the end it sounded really bad but the spagetti junction of wires in poor to reach places stopped me from attempting a total overhall.
              just moved to a new address and have mended all speaker wires - everything is neatly connected behind protective boards - the base will sit on the floor and the others will sit out of reach.
              i'm thinking its a settings issue.

Personally, I would check this.