Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Photoshop pencil tool - display preview of which pixel gets marked  (Read 2673 times)

xor_eax_eax

Hello, I hope I posted this in the correct forum.

In photoshop CS3, when using the Pencil tool, is it possible to display a preview of which pixel in the image gets marked (just like in Ms Paint)? I know that you can sort of tell which pixel(s) will be affected by the cursor - which can be either a pencil icon or a cross hair (when "precise" cursor option is set).

In theory, this should be enough to make using the pencil tool easy, but in practice it's not. When pointing with a cursor to a specific pixel, being just a tiny bit off will cause the wrong pixel to be set even if zoom makes each pixel 4 or more pixels wide. Displaying a pixel grid can help with that, but once again, not enough. In Ms Paint, as anyone can verify, when the pencil tool is used you get to see the pixel that will be set as you move the mouse around. Then you just have to click to "confirm". This has the additional bonus of previewing what the image will look like when you set a pixel to a certain color without having to actually do it and then press Ctrl+Z to undo. In Photoshop, I can't figure out how to get the same ability.

For the last 6 years, I've been using Photoshop for everything except doing pixel art, and used Ms Paint only for pixel art. I am interested to see if it's possible to switch to Photoshop only for doing everything, because I find it hard to believe that a program like Photoshop would not support the simple feature that Ms Paint supports, which to me makes all the difference of being able to design pixel art efficiently.