Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Restarting problem. Power on = ok. Power off = ok. Restart = Freeze  (Read 2666 times)

jayinjay24

I'm a newbie at this site- first post.

Since I bought the computer, about a year ago, the restart option has been a problem. When I click restart computer, the computer seems to shut down normally, pause for a moment, as it should, and then when it would normally restart- it maintains a black screen and you can hear the motor running very hard. More notably, the motor makes a loud noise cyclically every three/four seconds. It will never stop. I have left it in the state (plugged in) for about 20 hours and it never restarts.

Interestingly, if i click start, shutdown- the computer shuts down properly and then will power on properly as well. The problem only arises when the restart function is used. Also, the problem occurs when a program prompts me to restart as well. (when you update something and it says "to finish update your computer must restart"...)

Toshiba Satellite M305D- S4830.
Vista Operating system
AMD Turion X2 Ultra 64

I'm not sure if any other info/specs would be helpful. Everything is "stock".

Any help would be appreciated greatly.

- JJ

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Restarting problem. Power on = ok. Power off = ok. Restart = Freeze
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 07:14:27 AM »
Do you have the latest bios (v1.7 BIOS for M305-S4830)? If not, get it from the Toshiba website, flash it, and see if that fixes it.