Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can not load the hive>>  (Read 2569 times)

bigal50

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Can not load the hive>>
    « on: March 23, 2010, 10:18:43 PM »
    Stop: C0000218 ( Registry file failure )
    The registry cannot load the hive ( file )
    \systemroot\system32\config\software
    or its log or alternate

Beginning dump of physical memory.
    Physical memory dump complete.
    Contact your system adiminstrator or technical support group.

Originally my computer crashed and I was getting the above message.  I was instructed to use this set of commands:

ren c:\windows\system32\config\software software.old
    copy c:\windows\repair\software c:\windows\system32\config

to restore my PC but I was made aware that I my need to reinstall all my applications which I did.

My computer is better now however now I'm having problems connecting to certan websites. Some tell me I need Active-X?!   Others time i get a message the says my security settings wontt allow me to view this sight.   Other time I click on a link and another internet explorer window opens and nothing loads. The screen stays white. Also everytime I try to save a website as a favorite I get a message that reads something like:
    “ Cant not save the file " Website name" Catastropic failure.

Im sure all this has to with my system crashing a few weeks ago when I had to recover by using the commands mentioned above, but maybe like all my applications do my internet settings have to be that be reset ??
    What happened to the nice young man Allan who was helping me ????????

Thanks in advance. You gave have been great......

EK

Rookie

Re: Can not load the hive>>
      « Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 10:39:00 PM »
      Hi!

Personally I don't trust System Recoveries. They work but not very effectively. Its better to install a fresh copy of Windows, otherwise, not all problems are sorted out on re installation esp cases like yours. Yours is a result of corrupted system files which are corrupted mostly because of viruses.

The best you can do for you to surf without problems is install another browser like Firefox. Most viruses attach the windows media player and browser (Internet Explorer). You can be a victim. Alternatively u can use Opera or Netscape Navigator. The idea is to use another browser apart from Windows Internet Explorer.

By the way, what anti-virus are u using?

Best wishes
      Edgar

tobydorji

Beginner

Re: Can not load the hive>>
        « Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 10:47:44 PM »
        Yap I go with Ek.Try using a Different browser like the Mozilla Firefox which is quite Popular Nowdays.

If the problem persist the best thing for you would be reinstall the Operating System.