Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Post won't finish loading?  (Read 11213 times)

Heinstar

Topic Starter

Rookie

Post won't finish loading?
    « on: March 27, 2010, 10:54:28 PM »
    Okay well long story short because my PC wasn't working I thought it was my GPU that was the problem. To test this out I inserted my GPU into my brothers mob. And it turns out that I was right because it showed white lines across the screen in Post of my brothers PC with a message 'Memory information: DDR3 1333 Unganged Mode' without loading anything else. So I switch both GPU back in it's original place. After I found out that my GPU is faulty I encountered a new problem:

My brother's PC still displays the message 'Memory information: DDR3 1333 Unganged Mode' after booting his PC it won't finish loading the Post. And it should be displaying 'Memory runs at Dual Channel Interleaved' instead. It's also not displaying any white lines which is logical since that only happens with my GPU. Unfortunately because the Post won't load I can't open the DVD player and I can't enter any of the BIOS settings.
    So What should I do?

Here's my spec:
    CPU: Intel E6600
    GPU: NVIDIA 8800GTS
    Mobo: GIGABYTE 965P-DS3P(rev. 3.3)
    RAM: Transcend 1GB, DDR2-800 x2
    PSU:500w Antec Earth Watts Power Supply

Here's my bro's spec:
    CPU: AMD phenom II 720 TripleCore
    GPU: Zotac  GTX260*2(216SP) 896M DDR3
    Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P AMD770/SB700 chipset/DDR3 1600
    RAM: G.Skill 2GB DDR3 1333  PC106666 (F3-10666CL9D-4GBBNQ) x2
    PSU: Vantec ION2 620W Ultra Quite

Here's the Pic first one is the Post on my brothers PC & the other's with the white lines are my PC: http://www.flickr.com/photos/48698505@N04/

EEVIAC

Re: Post won't finish loading?
    « Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 11:40:47 PM »
    For your brother's computer:
    Unplug your brother's computer, touch an unpainted piece of metal in the computer to discharge static, remove the cmos battery (shinny round thing) for a minute or so, put it back in and trying booting the computer again.

Heinstar

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 12:25:07 AM »
      Thanks for your reply, I did that and now it shows me the big GIGABYTE screen with:
      TAB: POST SCREEN
      DEL: BIOS SETUP\Q-FLASH
      F9: XPRESS RECOVERY2
      F12: BOOT MENU
      END: Q-FLASH
      and I pushed the TAB button but after that it stopped loading Post at 'Memory information: DDR3 1333 Unganged Mode' again.
      If you would like I could take a photo and show you the GIGABYTE start up screen.

EEVIAC

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 12:35:25 AM »
      what revision is the motherboard?   Is it 1.0  or  1.1   ? ?

Heinstar

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 12:47:15 AM »

EEVIAC

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 01:05:37 AM »
        restart the computer and when you see that screen again, press F12 to select what drive to boot from.  Set the optical drive as first in the boot order, and the Hard drive as second, save the settings before exiting and restart the computer... see if it boots now

Heinstar

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 01:16:55 AM »
          Unfortunately the F12 key doesn't seem to be working but the TAB is working. I tried to press F12 in the GIGABYTE start up screen as well as in Post but they are both not working.

EEVIAC

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 01:19:46 AM »
          well in the case of your board, f12 is just a short cut to set the boot order of the drives.  Use the DEL key instead to enter the bios.  Set the drive boot order there and try again

Heinstar

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 01:22:45 AM »
            DEL key isn't working as well

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • Computer Hope
            • Certifications: List
            • Computer: Specs
            • Experience: Guru
            « Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 01:28:32 AM »
            Other CMOS setup keys are F1 and F2 try either of these. If you still can't get in try just holding keyboard keys down as the computer is booting so you'll get a stuck key error message and have the option to continue or enter setup.
            Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
            -Albert Einstein

Heinstar

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 01:33:37 AM »
              I tried all those suggestions but they all seems to not be working. I simultaneously and singularly pressed random alphabets but it still didn't display the stuck key error as well.

EEVIAC

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2010, 01:41:35 AM »
              I can't help wondering what would happen if you tried starting the computer with only one stick of ram, in the slot closest to the cpu.  Perhaps unganged mode is being forced because one of the ram modules have gone bad, which would also prevent booting.  Try one stick of ram in the slot closest to the cpu.. If no joy, try the other one.

edit: other one, meaning, the other ram stick in the slot closest to cpu

Heinstar

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2010, 01:58:20 AM »
                I tried booting the machine with one RAM closest to the CPU and one RAM second closest to CPU and pressed TAB. But the Post still shows the same message. And I also tried the blue slots as well.

EEVIAC

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2010, 02:08:19 AM »
                Don't use both ram modules at the same time.. that defeats the purpose of my suggestion.  Power off the computer, remove both sticks of ram, insert one stick into the slot closest to the cpu and try booting the computer. If that doesn't work, remove the ram module and put the other one in the slot closest to the cpu, then try booting the computer...

Heinstar

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2010, 02:14:36 AM »
                  That was what I did, I apologize for my bad grammar. My brother also told me that he frequently got that message 'Memory information: DDR3 1333 Unganged Mode' except that it didn't get stuck there. So I think that message is supposed to show up but isn't supposed to get stuck there,
                  « Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 02:37:50 AM by Heinstar »