Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: is there software/utility to read/open windows file directory index?  (Read 3161 times)

seagatehater

Topic Starter

Rookie

hi

i'm looking for software/method that can open windows file index for windows 7 and show the file directories on all hard discs.

i don't know the technical term for it,but when you index file locations to have quick searches...i hope windows does keep them somewhere....i need to look at that part of the OS....

any help? thanx

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: is there software/utility to read/open windows file directory index?
    « Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 08:27:13 PM »
    XTree Gold is my file management tool of choice...
    However it's kinda powerful and not built for everyone...
    What exactly is it you need to do or accomplish here ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

seagatehater

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 03:24:38 AM »
      XTree Gold is my file management tool of choice...
      However it's kinda powerful and not built for everyone...
      What exactly is it you need to do or accomplish here ? ?

firstly am using windows 7. I noticed how more powerful the search/index function is......i was hoping to look at the ''library'' of all these files as windows does while it searches.

i imagine that windows keeps a 'catalog'/index of all files and their location on the computer. i had a failed hard disk and i just want to look at the names of those files from he dead hard-drive, but hopefully memorized/indexed/catalogued by windows)....some downloads....so that i can go about downloading/replacing the lost data.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 09:06:30 AM »
      How dead is this HDD ? ?
      Indexing service if it can be found won't help much here at all as it will ony be a data file listing files and sizes...not the actual files themselves.
      Have you hooked it up as a slave drive to see if you can retrieve the data ? ?

Slave Drive Info...

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      « Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 10:10:38 AM »
      How dead is this HDD ? ?
      Indexing service if it can be found won't help much here at all as it will ony be a data file listing files and sizes...not the actual files themselves.

Actually, it has a LOT of information, but there is absolutely no way it can be parsed into anything useful. Most of it would probably be binary data stored from the various installed "IFilters" Word and OpenOffice(I think) both install IFilters and there are a lot of IFilter's implementations installed by default for several file  types. each IFilter can store a chunk of data into the Windows Search Database (Indexing service in XP and 2000). This chunk of data is highly unlikely to be human readable or even in a recognizable data format, and is more then likely a custom persistence format created by whoever authored that particular search filter.

Either way, the location is off-limits to any administrator. the data is stored in the "System Volume Information" Folder of the drive: see What's the deal with the System Volume Information folder?

However: even if you get access to it, there is no way you will be able to easily understand any of the data that is stored. In fact it's unlikely to even have paths stored at all; who knows how it stores it's indexing data. it might store it by folder; it might even compress the entire thing using a compression format, thereby making the entire thing unintelligible.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 11:58:03 AM »
      Thanx for the clarification BC...

;)

seagatehater

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 06:32:15 AM »
        How dead is this HDD ? ?
        Have you hooked it up as a slave drive to see if you can retrieve the data ? ?

Slave Drive Info...

ummm...it is really dead.... cant it had an I/O error.
        have tried so many high level and low level softwares to recover it........i just cant get into it.
        tried hirens, erd, knoppix.....just cannot get into the disk..always returns a ''not responding to commands' error.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        « Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 06:45:26 AM »
        Ahh, so you thought that windows stored the index data for, say, a USB drive or other drives, on the system drive.

This is not the case; index information for files on a drive are stored on that drive.
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.