Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Disk Space for Temporary Internet Files - Problem  (Read 21603 times)

Bazooka

Topic Starter

Starter

Disk Space for Temporary Internet Files - Problem
    « on: April 02, 2010, 07:18:06 AM »
    I am using IE8 and since yetrday onwards the browser has STOPPED KEEPING HISTORY items in the hstory folder. Only a blank sapce occurs when I click on History from the Menu Bar.

So I went to : Tools >  Interent Options > Under Browsing History > Settings > Under Temporary Internet Files > there is an option : Disk Space to Use
    And there is a small box in White where you can set the space on disk as a number ranging from 8MB to 1024MB by TYPING IT manually or simply CLICKING THE UP- DOWN ARROWS TO INCREAE OR DECREAE the number of MBs.

PROBLEM :  In my Settings Page THE UP-DOWN ARROWS WONT INCREASE THE NUMBER BEYOND 10MB.

if I try to Manually Type in the Number of MBs and the figure is larger than 8MBs I get an error Mesage stating:

"PLEASE SELECT A VALUE BETWEEN 8 AND 8 FOR THE DISK SAPCE TO USE FOR TEMPORARY INTERNET FILES"

And the Number shown always becomes ZERO no matter what value I Type in.

***                           ***                          *** 

I cannot solve this error no matter what I have tried , going to folder options etc is of no use.
    I cant store History neither are my Temporary Internet files stored for later viewing.

Please help me out with this as to how to  get the MANUALLY TYPING option to start working again and allot the disk space available in the Optimal Range of 50-250MB as suggested by IE8 so that History and Internet Files can be viewed.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Disk Space for Temporary Internet Files - Problem
    « Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 07:19:38 AM »
    How much free space is there on the drive?

Bazooka

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 07:33:20 AM »
      Hi Allan, there is around 9 GB on the Hard Drive still free. Space is not a problem.

The Option of TYPING IN the number of MBs or Adjusting it with Up and Down arrows is LOCKED , and whatever number I type in, the mentioned error message comes up and the typed value drops back to ZERO automatically.

And the Arrows are actually not working when clicked on them  ie they do not increase the value beyond 10MBs ie  they are LOCKED beyond 10 MB.

Allan

• Mastermind

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 07:41:09 AM »
      With 9G free why would you set it to anything larger ? ?
      History file is text based anyways...thats alot of text.
      What is the size of this HDD ? ?
      Sounds like it's time for some housekeeping anyways.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Bazooka

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 07:52:37 AM »
        You are making a misake Patio, I said free HDD space ie C Drive in my case is 9GB and the disk space for Temporary Internet Files is alloted to just 10 MB.

Get the difference now, between GBs and MBs. 9GB and 10 MB(only).

So no House Keeping here!

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 08:12:39 AM »
        My bad...
        However whats the size of the drive ? ?
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Allan

• Mastermind

robcornerstone

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 02:15:36 PM »
          I know this is an old thread, but I ran into the exact same issue.  Bazooka had a PERFECT description of the problem.  I signed up for this site just to post the solution.

Symptoms:

Internet Options > General > Browser History | Settings > Disk space to use
          --> This is set to 0 MB, and cannot be changed beyond 10 MB.  You can change this to 8, but the change won't stick.
          --> Attempts to change this value yields the following error message:
          "Please select a value between 8 and 8 for how much disk space Temporary Internet Files may use"

Internet Options > General > Browser History | Settings > Current location
          --> This is completely blank.  This is a clue as to why it's set to 0 MB.

Internet Options > General > Browser History | Settings > Move folder ...
          --> This does not work

Deleting the Temporary Internet Files folder does not help:
          C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\

Solution:

* Login as a new user, and that user should not have this problem.
          * Or delete the corrupted user profile, and recreate it
          There might be a more surgical solution, but these were acceptable for me

Reasoning:

I don't care enough to verify this, but the machine was running IE 10.  After downgrading to IE 9, existing users' profiles that had used IE 10 were corrupted.  However, brand new users were not impacted.