Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Toshiba recovery CD stuck on "Applying Final Configuration" fix  (Read 7132 times)

Sn3akyP3t3

Topic Starter

Beginner

I searched for a fix to this problem and couldn't find any posts that were resolved so here is my proposed fix.  This method was performed on a Toshiba Satellite A210 series, but I'm positive it will work on almost all models.

Prerequisites:
    Toshiba laptop.
    Toshiba recovery CD used

Symptoms:
    Screen reads "Applying Final Configuration" and never finishes or computer reboots manually or automatically and repeats a same step endlessly with a screen title of "Applying Final Configuration".

Solution:
    The problem seems to be in the cleanup design of this final step and is purely a huge mistake in the programming department of Toshiba.  I used an extra tool to complete step 1 called WinPatrol 2010, but you can do it with the alternative discussed below.
    Step 1.) Using WinPatrol bring up the "Startup Programs" tab.  Delete the following items:
    • Title                                                     Command
    • SysOff                                                  ClosespV.exe
    • B3                                                            B3.bat
    • Toshiba America Information Systems         Splash.exe
    Step 1 alternative.) If WinPatrol undesired then use msconfig to uncheck the items listed above in the Startup tab.
    Step 2.) Check the Startup folder to verify B3.bat and Splash.exe don't exist there.  If they do exist there then delete them.  The Startup folder can be found easily by clicking on the Start Button (Vista is the color wheel of doom) in the bottom left corner.  Then click on All programs and look for the Startup folder.
    Step 3.) Reboot
    Step 4.) System Preparation Tool pops up.  Don't change any options and run it as it is.  It will do some cleanup and Sysprep whatnot and reboot the computer automatically again.
    Step 5.) Answer questions on a reboot such as Username, password, blah, blah.

Done!  :)  I hope this helps at least one person out there!

On a personal note I own a Toshiba running XP and have had nightmares with customizing it without using this recovery CD.  It seems like Toshiba hardware is sound, but tech support and drivers seem like a distant afterthought.  After experiencing this and having my own experience I've decided I won't be purchasing a Toshiba ever again.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Toshiba recovery CD stuck on "Applying Final Configuration" fix
    « Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 11:07:41 AM »
    ...It seems like Toshiba hardware is sound, but tech support and drivers seem like a distant afterthought.  After experiencing this and having my own experience I've decided I won't be purchasing a Toshiba ever again.
    My experience, too.