Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Extrenal Hard Drive Died  (Read 3564 times)

GeorgiaSmitty

Extrenal Hard Drive Died
« on: July 11, 2005, 01:26:10 PM »
I've a Maxtor Personel Storage 5000DV external drive and it kind of self destruted. Took it apart and found the internal drive destroyed itself, nothing but some black powder inside the drive, disc mirrored surfaces were all gone. I querried Maxtor and was told drives are matched to the internals of the case and I can't just slap in a new one, is this true????

Computer_Commando

Re: Extrenal Hard Drive Died
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2005, 01:43:58 PM »
I assume it wasn't under warranty?  I wonder what made it blow-up?

Data Sheet says:

Hard Drive: DiamondMax Plus with Ultra ATA/133 interface
RPM: 7200
Cache Buffer: 8MB

This appears to be a standard 3.5" hard disk drive.  Any brand, any size with same specs will work.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2005, 01:45:34 PM by Computer_Commando »

GeorgiaSmitty

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2005, 02:02:16 PM »
I'm not sure if it overheated or what....it was making a low clicking noise for a few dayz, I think that was the heads raking the surface of the disks. Will slap in a new drive as soon as I get one and give it a shot, they seem pretty low in price from what I see on SlickDeals. Much thanks for the info ( I figured Maxtor lied)

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2005, 02:04:52 PM »
( I figured Maxtor lied)

Or they did not have sufficient information. I very much doubt Technical support has all the hardware avaible to quickly rack up an answer when someone comes up with a problem that is very unlikely to occur..

Angelo

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2005, 05:40:01 PM »
"it was making a low clicking noise"

ME 2!!!!!! I have  A maxtor External drive and it does not work anymore and makes a Clicking sound!. I have to get it fiex but no matter were i go they can't fix it. And to send it to seomone to fix it would cost  400$! can some help? were should i  send it.

Computer_Commando

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2005, 05:44:21 PM »
"it was making a low clicking noise"

ME 2!!!!!! I have  A maxtor External drive and it does not work anymore and makes a Clicking sound!. I have to get it fiex but no matter were i go they can't fix it. And to send it to seomone to fix it would cost  400$! can some help? were should i  send it.

Fix it yourself or throw it out.  New ones are very inexpensive, so it's not worth paying someone to fix it.  Next time, try Western Digital or Seagate.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2005, 05:45:41 PM by Computer_Commando »