Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Booting in Safe Mode  (Read 2257 times)

gonggirl

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Booting in Safe Mode
    « on: April 09, 2010, 11:11:00 PM »
    Hi,
    My computer was working perfectly but a friend suggested I boot a program in safe mode only, so I tried to boot in safe mode and my computer would not do this, I searched online how to boot in safe mode and followed these instructions to boot manually in safe mode: How to get into Safe mode by the System Configuration Utility
    Under XP
    •1. Got to your Start menu and select Run option.
    •2. Type in msconfig command and click OK. The System Configuration Utility program will then open.
    •3. Select the BOOT.INI tab located at the top of the System Configuration Utility window.
    •4. Check the box labeled /SAFEBOOT and click OK.
    •5. When asked if you prefer to restart the PC immediately, or Exit Without Restart, choose to restart the computer manually.
    •6. Your computer will automatically boot into Windows XP Safe Mode when you will restart it.
    •7. When you are done with Safe Mode, go to the Start menu again and select Run option. Type in msconfig *and click OK.
    •8. Select the Normal Startup radio button and click OK.
    •9. When asked if you prefer to restart the PC immediately, or Exit Without Restart, choose to restart the computer manually.
    •10. Your computer will boot into Normal mode the next time you switch it on.

I did this, restarted my computer only to find it started to boot windows then went to a black blank screen and nothing more happened, well my problems start here as I cannot get back into windows to change that configuration to boot normally, so I tried the xp windows disc to repair the situation and this only made things worse it wouldn't pick up an operating system at all and now trying to do this a couple of times my computer now wont even try and boot windows I get a pentium 4 symbol showing and that is it. I even have a problem my Samsung screen I was using with the computer doesn't seem to work now either, could these configuration changes have blown up my screen toooo? If anyone can help with anything it would be appreciated.
    I'm using a Pentium 4, windows xp, all service packs

gonggirl

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Re: Booting in Safe Mode
      « Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 01:11:40 AM »
      I'm using another screen now, and it keeps wanting to boot windows but cannot because the configuration I changed previously will not allow it to boot, for some reason my computer will not boot in safe mode at all and because the configuration I changed evrytime Windows boots its telling it to boot in safemode but it wont, so I keep getting a black screen, how can I change this configuration back when I cannot get into Windows? Does any one know of  a way please?

midsail

Hopeful
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 05:59:03 AM »
        Hello gonggirl
        If u have a Win CD. Boot from the Win CD and do like if u were going to a install. DO NOT USE THE REFORMAT OPTION. Just follow instructions and it will get to a fix this install option. Choose this option and let it run. It will take about 30 mins for this fix. Write back and let us know?

gonggirl

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 06:10:25 AM »
          Thank You

I've fixed it, phew, I'll tell everyone just in case someone has the same problem and it helps them:
          I installed the original xp disc and ran the repair mode, it didn't run, it sat at the C\:windows and didn't go any further, I then typed in BOOTCFG and it bought up all different things to do, I chose BOOTCFG \REBUILD, it then looked up my operating system and asked for additional boot methods I typed in : NORMAL (this was only a guess) pressed enter and rebooted and it worked, just a fluke but I'm happy, it booted and a big configuration settings box come on the screen I then went into configurations settings and changed this setting back to boot normal.  Hope this all makes sense, Hope it helps others