Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hard drive size.  (Read 6554 times)

69Z28

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Hard drive size.
    « on: April 11, 2010, 06:11:30 AM »
    I just formatted what I thought was a 20GB hard drive but the Bios set up utility indicates hard disk is 8455MB. Would this be correct or was the hard drive mis-labled?

"Get away son you bother me"...W.C. Fields

Salmon Trout

Re: Hard drive size.
    « Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 06:18:16 AM »
    How old is this computer?

EEVIAC

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 06:25:21 AM »
    If this is the same computer, Inspiron 3000, your going to need a bios update for any space over 8455 MB (8.4 GB) to be recognized...  This is "LBA" support which was added to computers around 1998.  But your computer doesn't seem to have it..  

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&os=WW1&osl=en&SystemID=INS_PNT_PNT_3000&catid=-1&impid=-1

Use the link to download and install the latest bios update from DELL.  I'm not totally sure if this update includes the LBA support you need, but it's dated 2000, so it just might..  Read the instructions CAREFULLY, when updating your bios...  If you make a mistake, your computer will be a paper weight..  If this update doesn't do the trick, we might look for one at Intel..

EEVIAC

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 07:06:03 AM »
    I would just like to add that if this updates works, it will recognize drives up to 137 GB, using an NTFS file system.  You've already got Windows XP installed, so you've met the file system/OS requirements for space recognition that large..  I don't know if you can purchase any drives for your computer that large, but just so you know...

69Z28

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 12:45:38 PM »
      If this is the same computer, Inspiron 3000, your going to need a bios update for any space over 8455 MB (8.4 GB) to be recognized...  This is "LBA" support which was added to computers around 1998.  But your computer doesn't seem to have it..  

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&os=WW1&osl=en&SystemID=INS_PNT_PNT_3000&catid=-1&impid=-1

Use the link to download and install the latest bios update from DELL.  I'm not totally sure if this update includes the LBA support you need, but it's dated 2000, so it just might..  Read the instructions CAREFULLY, when updating your bios...  If you make a mistake, your computer will be a paper weight..  If this update doesn't do the trick, we might look for one at Intel..

Hello EEVIAC---yes it is the same laptop. I was wondering why the HD wasn't showing near what it says it is. If I did do this download can you walk me thru it?

Gary

EEVIAC

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 12:49:07 PM »
      I'll do what I can...  I won't be near the computer every minute today, but I'll do what I can..  Once the update is complete, you might have to enable LBA mode in the bios.  I don't know if it automatically happens...

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 01:07:50 PM »
      All BIOS versions shown in the link provided, have exactly the same date.  An Inspiron 3000 may be limited to 8.4GB.  Are you positive it's a 20GB drive?  8GB drives were very common at that time.  I have an Inspiron 7000 with an 8GB, replaced with an 18GB, never an issue with any OS.  LBA not required until drive surpasses 137GB.
      http://www.48bitlba.com/

69Z28

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 02:04:10 PM »
        All BIOS versions shown in the link provided, have exactly the same date.  An Inspiron 3000 may be limited to 8.4GB.  Are you positive it's a 20GB drive?  8GB drives were very common at that time.  I have an Inspiron 7000 with an 8GB, replaced with an 18GB, never an issue with any OS.  LBA not required until drive surpasses 137GB.
        http://www.48bitlba.com/

It better be. I just bought it. It says 20GB on the label.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        « Reply #8 on: April 11, 2010, 02:13:29 PM »
        It better be. I just bought it. It says 20GB on the label.
        New or used?  If BIOS reports 8.4GB, that's all it will ever see unless an update fixes it.  I suspect that's it because BIOS says 8.4, not 8.0.
        Here's a link to the limitations:
        BIOS Limitations

Issues fixed in A06 revision of the Dell Inspiron 3000 BIOS

1. Disable DIM LCD mode when Power Management is set to "Disabled" in the BIOS
        2. Dell QuietKey keyboard did not work after resume from Save 2 Ram.
        3. System could hang when installing Win98 onto a hard drive that did not have an existing partition if the user booted the system from the Win98 CD.
        4. ZIP drive disappears after the system is restarted.

Flash A06 and pray!
        « Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 02:53:05 PM by Computer_Commando »

69Z28

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2010, 02:36:52 PM »

EEVIAC---your link I downloaded is a Dell Driver Download Manager about 10Kbytes I had to download NET Frame 3.5 for XP SP1. I opened it, ran it, and not sure whats happing next.

EEVIAC

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2010, 02:37:56 PM »
          LBA not required until drive surpasses 137GB.

Yes, it is.  Approx. 1998, Original LBA 28-bit was added to the industry standard, which helped drives get past the 8.4 GB limit.  Before that, drives were accessed using CHS.  48-bit LBA support, which was added around 2001, enabled a drive to go past 137 GB

Computer_Commando

Hacker
          « Reply #11 on: April 11, 2010, 02:44:55 PM »
          My mistake, I should have said 48-bit LBA.

From WDC website:
          8.4GB Barrier:
          There is an 8.4GB drive limitation on some traditional system BIOSs. To access the full capacity of 8.4GB and larger drives, your system BIOS must support extended BIOS functions, and your operating system must recognize extended BIOS functions. It is difficult to determine if your system BIOS supports 8.4GB or larger drives. Please contact your system or motherboard manufacturer for this information.

Since the BIOS sees 8.4GB, it's a BIOS issue.

EEVIAC

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2010, 02:53:33 PM »
          basically, what I already said..

A BIOS upgrade with 28-bit LBA support will fix the problem, IF the bios update includes 28-bit LBA support... However, his bios will never support a drive larger than 137 GB... I doubt there is an update for 48bit support

EEVIAC

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2010, 02:54:39 PM »
          My mistake, I should have said 48-bit LBA.

You are forgiven  ;D

Computer_Commando

Hacker
          « Reply #14 on: April 11, 2010, 03:00:01 PM »
          ...A BIOS upgrade with 28-bit LBA support will fix the problem, IF the bios update includes 28-bit LBA support... However, his bios will never support a drive larger than 137 GB... I doubt there is an update for 48bit support
          I looked at the details of all the BIOS updates and none say anthing about it.  I say flash it and see what happens; as it has a value of about $0, nothing to lose.