Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Toshiba Satellite won't accept good AC~  (Read 3575 times)

K e v i n

Topic Starter

Starter

Toshiba Satellite won't accept good AC~
    « on: April 11, 2010, 11:34:44 AM »
    Hi experts and guru's.
    Toshiba Satellite L355D-S7813
    Model# PSLE0U-00R00J (those are all zeroes)

Opened laptop from hibernation this a.m. and noticed the low battery indication was at 8% remaining and flashing red, indicating that the battery was not charging. The AC icon was showing as plugged in, so the computer at least recognized the adapter but I was still getting the flashing red warning that the battery was not charging.

It soon dropped to 5% and then minutes later shut down. I assumed tghe AC adapter which I had just bought 3 months ago to replace the OEM one that went bad, also went bad. But it is putting out 18.5vdc which is within the output parameters of 15vdc - 24vdc.

Not knowing why this would make any sense, I pulled the battery and tried to power it up on the cord alone, but it would not power up. I double checked my readings on the adapter and it showed a solid 18.5vdc, so the problem is in the hardware.

I made sure the two small + inner pins inside the female portion of the connector are making contact with the male pin inside the female portion of the laptop AC port are mating and they are. I even spread the pins inward slightly with a jeweler just to make sure.

Couple of months ago or so, I tripped across the power cord and broke the computer AC port inside the chassis and could not access it, so I had to disassemble it, epoxy the part back in place, and it has been working perfectly ever since.

I am going to disassemble and do a visual, but the port is still held fast, the plug is making good contact, and even the system tray icon as mentioned is recognizing the AC - but it is not charging the battery or supplying power to the computer.

Is this most likely a hardware or software issue? Could it be a virus even? I tried to restart in safe mode to run antimalwarebytes but halfway through power up it shut down again.

Thanks for any input. Kevin.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Toshiba Satellite won't accept good AC~
    « Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 11:48:00 AM »
    You have bad connections somewhere.  Every laptop I am familiar with will function on the adapter with no battery.  The fact that the computer recognizes that the adapter is connected, only tells you it sees voltage present.  If the adapter is not supplying current, it won't charge the battery or run the computer.  You have to test the adapter with a load on it, which is not easy to do.  BTW, with the computer off and the adpater connected, the indicator lights should indicate state of charge.  I think your epoxy repair has let loose.  You can get replacement power plugs and solder them to the motherboard.  There are shops that specialize in this repair, since it's so common.

K e v i n

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 11:58:42 AM »
      I considered that the adapter is breaking down under load as well, but I don't have a way to check that.

I'm in the computer just now and my repair job has not failed. I believe you are correct, I think it is the Taurus Universal adapter - producing voltage but breaking down under the load. I suppose I could have tapped the output side and observed the voltage while under a load but it's too late now, the computer will not power up at all.

I suppose I'll drive the 90 miles to town and trade the Taurus for a new one, provided I can find the receipt. I don't suppose anyone knows where I put it?  8)

Anyway thanks CC.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      « Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 12:45:06 PM »
      I considered that the adapter is breaking down under load as well, but I don't have a way to check that...
      If you have any spare automotive tail lamp bulbs, connect it to the adapter.  It draws 40ma from a 12V battery (just tested one on my bench).  I think the voltage under load will drop to less than 15V, which is within the range of the lamp.  Keep adding lamps to increase the current.  If you have a spare headlamp, that's even better.  I am assuming the power adapter is 3-4 A.
      « Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 12:55:38 PM by Computer_Commando »

K e v i n

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 01:01:08 PM »
        That's a great idea with the 12v bulbs in series, didn't think of that.

Just got off the phone with the Geek Squad guy at Best Buy. Forgot a town just 30 miles away just got a BB so going to try that. Thanks again.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        « Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 01:11:12 PM »
        That's a great idea with the 12v bulbs in series, didn't think of that. ..
        Just put the lamps in parallel, not series.  Even on a good adapter, the output will drop from 18-19 to 15 or so, depending on the load.  I completely forgot about that myself.  I'm testing with a spare UPS 12V battery and a lamp with socket and pigtails.  Measurements with a Fluke 87-V.

K e v i n

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 08:05:30 AM »
          I'm about to go on my 5th replacement adapter. This laptop just keeps knocking them out every few months now. Does anyone have any idea what I might be able to do other than the obvious get another computer. I'm going to do that, but I hate to retire an otherwise perfectly good laptop because of this.

If nothing can be done obviously I'll have to either shelve it, or look at it as averaging it out as a monthly expense.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
          « Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 11:10:40 AM »
          I'm not sure if the power adapters are short circuit protected or not.  If not, don't know what could be causing a short circuit, other than a very low battery.  You could run the laptop without the battery and/or rig a fuse in series with the adapter output.  5A fuse ought to do it.