Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hard Disk Wont Start  (Read 3398 times)

taify

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Hard Disk Wont Start
    « on: April 13, 2010, 04:25:22 AM »
    I was working on my computer last night and therwe was power failure..

Since then it's dead...
    I tried turning it on

the pc starts (gives display) and shows that it can detect Hard Disk and CD Rom and then shows a cursor and after that the screen goes BLACK !

I see that the key board still works(numberic lock) but it shows nothing...

I have some very , very important data on my PC?(F DRIVE) that I can't afford losing.

I tried installing windows..
    it picks up the cd and then ask em to press a key to boot(when I press it says checking hardware configuration and then goes black for good again)

I removed the hard disk and tried to boot from cd room and it worked...that mean something is wrong with HD

Any help? Plza

EEVIAC

Re: Hard Disk Wont Start
    « Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 04:47:46 AM »
    I removed the hard disk and tried to boot from cd room and it worked...that mean something is wrong with HD

That doesn't necessarily mean that the hard drive is bad.  Your power supply might be failing.  Removing a device reserves power for other components..

What's the make/model of your hard drive ?  You could download hard drive diagnostics software and burn it to a bootable CD, and test the drive..

If you have access to another power supply of equal or greater wattage, you should install it and try it out...

Another way to go would be to install the drive into another computer, as a secondary drive.  This would tell you almost immediately if the drive is bad.  If the computer doesn't recognize it either way you try it, chances are it's gone bad.  Depending on how bad you need your data, you might have to pay an data recovery expert, if you haven't backed up anything...

taify

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 05:10:08 AM »
      It's

Seagate
      ST380011A(80 GB)

I have another Computer and I tried
      I have another PC and when I connect this hard disk on it the HD is detected but that PC won't start up either .

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 05:21:34 AM »
      You cannot move it to another machine and expect it to boot properly...this is by design.
      You can however connect it as a slave and retrieve your important data...
      After that you could return it to the 1st machine and try a Repair Install...

But i'd grab the data 1st.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

taify

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 05:32:32 AM »
        The problem is when I connect it with the other PC even that PC doesn't start

EEVIAC

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 05:37:23 AM »
        It's likely that your not hooking up the drive correctly...  According to the MFR, in order to slave the drive, you need to remove the jumpers and connect it like this:

motherboard===========slave drive=======primary drive

Then make sure that the boot order in the bios is set to boot form the primary drive..  If it boots up, navigate to the drive under Windows and copy your data to a thumb drive or other external device.. Select F1, F2 or delete to enter the bios at boot time...

If the drive isn't even recognized in the bios, it's likely that the drive is dead..

EEVIAC

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 05:42:46 AM »
        Be sure the jumper on back of the primary drive (in the good computer) is set as "master", when you do this..

taify

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 06:25:23 AM »
          I got my data back  :D

Thanks a tonnnn !

Now anyone?
          How to make this HD work ?
          I want it back on my pc...

it wont let me install windows =S

EEVIAC

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 06:38:43 AM »
          Congrats

Put the drive back into the original computer in the exact configuration it was in before.

Pull off all the power cables and replace them exactly the way they were.  Try booting off the installation disc to do a repair install.  If it still doesn't work, take the power supply out of the good computer and put it in the bad one and see if you can get the installation to work...

Make sure the computer is clean inside, as well....no dust
          Use compressed air if you have some

taify

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2010, 09:11:57 AM »
            Hmmm.. the PC started working automatically back then and now another light jolt and it's in the same pathetic condition again...

I need a new HD or a new pc ?