Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: IBM DeskStar Hard Drive Problem.  (Read 2969 times)

GX1Man

IBM DeskStar Hard Drive Problem.
« on: July 11, 2005, 10:54:14 PM »
I am trying to use an older Hitachi/DeskStar Model IBM-DTLA-307030 in a Dell machine. With Fdisk, I can remove all the partitions, but when I select "use all drive for primary partition" I only get 2042 megs. (Yes I enable large disk support first!). I then removed the primary partition both with and then without large disk support utilized, but it makes no difference. I get 2 gigs usable out of a thirty gig drive. I can't even use the remauining drive for an extended partition. It is like a 2 gig drive! I know it used to work as a thirty, and it is clearly labeled a 30.
I have used all of the Hitachi/IBM tools that show no need fopr a firmware update, it tests out fine with the diagnostics and it shows it as a 30 gig drive. None of the "DeathStar" clicking noises as many have reported as these drives fail. But I am stumped!!
All help appreciated.

No Spyware/Adware or Virus. I use Linspire on my other computer!. Ask me about it.

uisquebeathus

Re: IBM DeskStar Hard Drive Problem.
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2005, 06:15:37 AM »
The following web site can help as well as download tools especially for the Hitachi drives

http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm#Drive%20fitness

The tool DDD-SI shoild be able to do the adjustments enabling full use of the drive

merlin_2

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2005, 03:58:52 PM »
Format the hard drive......and no comment on the hard drive you have chosen!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2005, 03:59:23 PM by merlin_2 »

Mark Morris

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2005, 04:38:18 PM »
I used all of the Hitachi/IBM tools. I do get a lot of clicking and stalling of the program during the sequential write tests. The bios of the GX1 sees it as a 2 gig drive (both before and after fdisk. The Hitachi/IBM software sees it as a 30.

Ready for the trash can???

merlin_2

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2005, 04:49:15 PM »
The harddrive in question should have been in the dumpster with the rest of them?absolutely useless!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2005, 04:50:39 PM by merlin_2 »

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2005, 04:06:47 AM »
Can you not contact IBM technical support and ask them for the correct diagnostic software before discarding the HDD? If it is still seen as 30GB, it may just be an improperly configured BIOS.. Have you set the variables yourself or are you using autodetect?