Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problems trying to read DVD's  (Read 2147 times)

MK9

Topic Starter

Problems trying to read DVD's
    « on: April 24, 2010, 07:33:12 AM »
    Hello,

I own a VAIO laptop for more than a year now, and since a few days now my drive no longer reads DVD's. It still detects and read ordinary CD's, but when a DVD is inserted, two things can happen:

- the disc starts to spin but nothing appears on the 'Computer' screen
    - nothing at all

I initially tried using a lens cleaner but it didn't have any effects (although one game DVD did work after it, but it didn't last)

I'd like to find out if it's only a problem with software/windows or if the drive itself is somehow damaged.

I'm on Windows Vista (Service Pack 2) and the drive itself is a 'Optiarc DVD RW AD-7560A ATA Device'

Any help greatly appreciated,
    Thank you

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Problems trying to read DVD's
    « Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 07:55:19 AM »
    Check the length of your warranty...
    Sounds like the DVD laser is shot.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 07:58:09 AM »
      It may be that the optical video reader of the drive has failed. I assume that you have been using it for the DVD's before now without problem with a specific software. Just to eliminate a software issue being the cause download another video player (there are many free ones available) and try that.If you have access to a removeable DVD drive you could also try that to see if it will play correctly.In the end if it does turn out to be a faulty internal drive unit it will probably to be to your financial advantage to purchase an external as a replacement. You will also by doing so gain the advantage of portability of the drive to use on other computers if you so desire.truenorth

MK9

Topic Starter

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 01:16:59 PM »
        Thanks for your help  :)

Allan

• Mastermind
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 01:20:26 PM »
        Insert a bootable disc (your OS disc will do). Reboot. Doest the system see the disc at boot? If not, the drive is shot.