Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 98 critical updates  (Read 3958 times)

69Z28

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Windows 98 critical updates
    « on: April 30, 2010, 01:21:10 AM »
    Is there anywhere to get ANY update downloads for W98 First Edition?
    "Get away son you bother me"...W.C. Fields

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Windows 98 critical updates
    « Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 03:04:47 AM »
    One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

69Z28

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 08:12:30 PM »
      Try here http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/patching/win98/

Thanks Dusty. I couldn't fine anything like that if it was rolling around in my back yard. I was wondering if all that info can be put on a disc? If so how? This way I would have it.

Dusty

Egghead

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 10:58:02 PM »
      The site I linked came from Googling for "windows 98 first edition updates" (without the " "), there's a lot more info out there.

Sure you can download and save the updates, I have all of the updates since SP.3 (Win XP) in a hard disk folder for backup.  Also you could burn the files to cd/dvd.

Good luck.

69Z28

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 01:10:27 AM »
        The site I linked came from Googling for "windows 98 first edition updates" (without the " "), there's a lot more info out there.

Sure you can download and save the updates, I have all of the updates since SP.3 (Win XP) in a hard disk folder for backup.  Also you could burn the files to cd/dvd.

Good luck.

Yeah I was just entering Windows 98 updates or critical updates and food some info but not what you gave me the link for.

On downloading and burning...I'm rather a newbie to saving data to a disc. I've done a few music CD's and a couple DVD's with Decrypter and Shrink. I have Roxio as well but only used it to erase some writable discs. I was planning to just making a folder for each download and putting them on my desktop, but making a data disc, I'm not to sure about. I'll Google burning a data disc and see what comes up. Can you tell me how you do it?

Thanks

Dusty

Egghead

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 01:58:36 AM »
        Quote from: 69z28
        I was planning to just making a folder for each download and putting them on my desktop

The choice is yours but it wouldn't be my first pick having one download per folder especially on the desktop.  I would create a folder for the downloads (say C:\Win98updates) and download all the updates into it.  If you click on the first update on the link I posted you'll see it redirects to a MS site which advises
        If you are running Windows 98:

The following file is available for download from the Microsoft Download Center:
                   Download 168115us8.exe now

When you click on that link you are redirected to the MS download center from which downloading will take place.   Direct the downloader to save the file to wherever you want.

As to burning disks, you have Roxio which is as good as many.  If you don't have a Roxio user manual see this site..

69Z28

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 02:27:51 AM »
          The choice is yours but it wouldn't be my first pick having one download per folder especially on the desktop.  I would create a folder for the downloads (say C:\Win98updates) and download all the updates into it.  If you click on the first update on the link I posted you'll see it redirects to a MS site which advises
          When you click on that link you are redirected to the MS download center from which downloading will take place.   Direct the downloader to save the file to wherever you want.

As to burning disks, you have Roxio which is as good as many.  If you don't have a Roxio user manual see this site..

I wasn't able to download any thing. A window keeps popping up saying Internet explorer cannot download file, etc. Not able to open the site (microsoft), The site is either unavailable or cannot be found. Try later. Bummer. Do I have to be on the actual computer the files will be going on? It would be quicker for me to download to my faster computer and then burn a disc.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 06:46:23 AM »
          Do I have to be on the actual computer the files will be going on? It would be quicker for me to download to my faster computer and then burn a disc.

This will work fine...and is definitely the way to go...
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

69Z28

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 05:01:04 PM »
            Never had any luck with downloading  98 upgrades. I went with XP Home anyway and it works fine.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
            • Certifications: List
            • Computer: Specs
            • Experience: Expert
            « Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 05:11:53 PM »
            Never had any luck with downloading  98 upgrades. I went with XP Home anyway and it works fine.
            There's an Unofficial Update Service Pack for Win98SE, but that won't help you.
            http://exuberant.ms11.net/98sesp.html

How's the "old computer" stuff going.  If you ever need any Slot 1 CPU's, PM me.  I've got a PIII-600 on a Slocket looking for a home.