Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help!! Spilled water on my laptop!!  (Read 3566 times)

sunnysky

Topic Starter

Rookie

Help!! Spilled water on my laptop!!
    « on: May 03, 2010, 03:50:01 PM »
    Earlier today, I put my laptop into my bag along with a water bottle. The water bottle's cap wasn't screwed on, so water spilled out and flooded the bottom of the bag. My laptop got wet!!! It was 1/2 cup of water and since my laptop was carried vertically, only 1 edge got wet. at the time of the spillage, my comp was in hibernate mode, and now it won't start up. Now I took out the battery and I have a fan blowing at it. Anything else I can do? Have I irrevocably damaged my comp? What are the chances that it'll be ok? I am really worried. Btw, it is a Sony vaio laptop, about 11 months old.   

Carnifex

Greenhorn

Re: Help!! Spilled water on my laptop!!
      « Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 04:21:11 PM »
      Remove the battery and AC, then give the computer time to dry.

Once the laptop is dry, try booting it again. If that fails, it sounds like you'll need some repairs.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 05:20:17 PM »
        You used the magical term that may be your ultimate salvation " about 11 months old". If that is so then you should still be under warranty. Don't fool with it. Apply your warranty. Quickly. As it could be very near the end.truenorth

quaxo

Guru
          • Yes
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 09:17:03 PM »
        You used the magical term that may be your ultimate salvation " about 11 months old". If that is so then you should still be under warranty. Don't fool with it. Apply your warranty. Quickly. As it could be very near the end.truenorth

Most warranties will cover malfunctions or defects from manufacturing, not user causes malfunctions, like exposure to water, or natural disasters (so telling them it got caught in a flood is probably not an option).

You could always try, but I wouldn't get your hopes up unless your warranty also covers accidents (some do). My laptop has a 3-year warranty that includes accidents.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 08:18:38 AM »
          Quaxo's point is relevant but as stated MANY warranties do cover accidental causes (unless misbehavior is involved). So i would certainly pursue that at this stage. This is also an opportunity to promote 2 other related points i feel are worth repeating.
          1.Always keep the receipts of purchase on warrantied items.
          2. When possible purchase warrantied items on a credit card that includes extended warranty service.These cards need not include any or additional fees to own. truenorth

sunnysky

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 05:57:11 PM »
            hey all thanks for the help.  :)

I dried it overnight and then earlier today I put in the battery and nothing happened. I took out the battery and connected the power cord, and interestingly, the power light (at the front of the computer) turned green. The other light (I believe it represents the CPU) flickered and then turned orange. However, the computer did not turn on.  :'( So I unattached everything and put the comp back on the table to dry. How much longer should I wait? Also, do the lights tell me something?

I found my warranty sheet and it said that it covers 12 months (which means I still have 2+ weeks). However, it said it doesn't cover accidents.  :( :( :( :( :( Aww...perhaps I'll give it a try anyways?  :-\

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 06:02:51 PM »
              Looks like you will need to be inventive.good luck,truenorth

Carnifex

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 04:06:04 PM »
                hey all thanks for the help.  :)

I dried it overnight and then earlier today I put in the battery and nothing happened. I took out the battery and connected the power cord, and interestingly, the power light (at the front of the computer) turned green. The other light (I believe it represents the CPU) flickered and then turned orange. However, the computer did not turn on.  :'( So I unattached everything and put the comp back on the table to dry. How much longer should I wait? Also, do the lights tell me something?

I found my warranty sheet and it said that it covers 12 months (which means I still have 2+ weeks). However, it said it doesn't cover accidents.  :( :( :( :( :( Aww...perhaps I'll give it a try anyways?  :-\

I'm sorry to hear that. :(

You can check your Yellow Pages for a local repair shop. They tend to work out-of-warranty for varying prices, so take some time to learn your options.

As an example, a repair shop in my area charges about $60 to repair a laptop, but the price may be higher or lower depending on the work & parts required.

Good luck.