Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Microphone crashes any application that uses sound!  (Read 3829 times)

Lunchbox

Microphone crashes any application that uses sound!
« on: May 14, 2010, 09:52:56 AM »
Hello!

Firstly I would like to thank you very much for taking the time to help me.

Here is my problem: A few days ago, I ran a Windows Live Messenger conversation with three people while we fooled around speaking nonsense to each other through microphone. (For information, I use a Logitech for Notebook Deluxe microphone (not a recent one), and my computer is a recent Hewlett-Packard running on Windows 7 Family Edition.) My microphone froze completely during one of my recordings and since then, any application that produces sound, for example videos viewed on the Internet through my browser (Opera or Chrome), Skype and other games just freeze completely once I start using the microphone. But the big problem now is that I cannot access the sound section of the control panel anymore, regardless of whether the microphone is being used or not. I click "Control Panel" => "Hardware and Sound" and once I click on the "Sound" section the button does not respond and acts as if I never clicked it.

I am thinking one of my drivers has been somehow messed up but don't know which one. I have checked the windows device manager but have only found one faulty device named "Saitek Magic Bus Root Enumerator" which does not seem to have any link with the Logitech microphone or the sound card.  Do any of you pros out there have a clue or even a hint which might put me on a track to fix this problem? Should I reinstall a specific sound driver? If so, which one and how?

Feel free to ask any additional information on my computer which may help you. Thanks a bunch!

rif

Rookie

Re: Microphone crashes any application that uses sound!
    « Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 07:17:58 PM »
    reinstalling the sound driver sounds ( :P) like a good idea. If you cannot uninstall the driver in normal mode, try booting up in safe mode and removing the driver and then rebooting.