Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Want new hard drive. Need advice.  (Read 3848 times)

jwfilion

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Want new hard drive. Need advice.
    « on: May 20, 2010, 03:53:22 AM »
    I've recently decided to get a much bigger hard drive, perhaps 500 Gig. It will be a huge step up from the 40 Gig I have now. However, this will be the first upgrade in several years and I was wondering if the computer can handle this without needing to upgrade something else as well.
    I am comfortable with my computer as is. I don't want to upgrade the OS, it's finally working the way I like it.
    I was hoping someone could suggest a drive, given the info I supply. If you need more, please ask and I will do my best to get it. Thanks kindly.

Mind Computer Products
    Intel Celeron 1.80GHz
    2 GB Ram
    WinXP Home / SP2
    Mainboard ECS P4VMM2
    S3 Graphics ProSavageDDR
    Vinyl AC'97 Audio
    AVG free, Spybot, Ad-aware, SUPERAntiSpyware
    CCleaner, HyJackthis, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

frankken2

Rookie

Re: Want new hard drive. Need advice.
      « Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 05:01:10 AM »
       The new hard ware perhaps 500 Gig. It will be a huge step up from the 40 Gig I have now. However, this will be the first upgrade in several years and I was wondering if the computer can handle this without needing to upgrade something else as well.
      I am comfortable with my computer as is. I don't want to upgrade the OS, it's finally working the way I like it.Thanks for giving information in right.

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 10:07:34 AM »
      The new hard ware perhaps 500 Gig. It will be a huge step up from the 40 Gig I have now. However, this will be the first upgrade in several years and I was wondering if the computer can handle this without needing to upgrade something else as well.
      I am comfortable with my computer as is. I don't want to upgrade the OS, it's finally working the way I like it.Thanks for giving information in right.
      What's the point of your post?  I see no value in it whatsoever.

jwfilion, your motherboard uses the older IDE type hard drives, not the newer SATA hard drives.  Here are some drives you could choose from: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010150014%201035907789&name=IDE%20Ultra%20ATA100   They're all Western Digital, a good brand.

jwfilion

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 05:55:28 PM »
        Thanks soybean. I'll probably order one tomorrow. If I may ask another question, in the description, they used the term "Bare Drive". Could someone explain this?

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        • Certifications: List
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 06:14:24 PM »
        ...If I may ask another question, in the description, they used the term "Bare Drive". Could someone explain this?
        No cables, no mounting screws.  BTW, you do have the option to upgrade to SATA.  Newegg has SATA controller cards.  I got one for my old P3 and it works very well.
        http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816132012&cm_re=sata_controller_card-_-16-132-012-_-Product

jwfilion

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 12:56:44 AM »
          Thanks Commando, I saw that on their site, unfortunately, I have no PCI slots left. I have decided to buy the drive and use it for now. Next BIG tax refund goes to a whole new machine!
          Till the new drive arrives, I'm going to try mustering the courage to install it and do a clone copy of the OS. Deepest I've gone into this computer stuff. Might have to talk to you guys before I start that.

soybean

Genius
          « Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 07:43:09 AM »
          Till the new drive arrives, I'm going to try mustering the courage to install it and do a clone copy of the OS. Deepest I've gone into this computer stuff. Might have to talk to you guys before I start that.

If you get a Western Digital drive, go to http://support.wdc.com/product/downloaddetail.asp?swid=119&wdc_lang=en and download Acronis True Image WD Edition Software.  You can use it to clone your old drive to the new.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 08:03:19 AM »
          If you get a Western Digital drive, go to http://support.wdc.com/product/downloaddetail.asp?swid=119&wdc_lang=en and download Acronis True Image WD Edition Software.  You can use it to clone your old drive to the new.
          Comes Free with Seagate HDD's as well.... ;)
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

soybean

Genius
          « Reply #8 on: May 22, 2010, 08:40:27 AM »
          Comes Free with Seagate HDD's as well.... ;)
          Do you mean DiscWizard?

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #9 on: May 22, 2010, 09:12:29 AM »
          Yes...written by Acronis.

soybean

Genius
          « Reply #10 on: May 22, 2010, 09:28:15 AM »
          When that time comes, watch the tutorial at http://support.seagate.com/kbimg/flash/laptop/laptop.html.  It's quite good.  And, it's identical to the Western Digital version of Acronis disc clone utility.

Edit: Oops, the tutorial I mentioned is for a laptop.  So, the hard drive connections will be different with a desktop.  But, the screens in the cloning software will be the same.

jwfilion

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2010, 10:06:10 AM »
            Thanks for the info guys. I assume this drive at least has the master/slave jumpers...or do I need them as well. I have mini jumpers for the motherboard. As for the mounting screws, anyone know the actual size, ie., #6-32? Machine screws and I, have an understanding...they disappear and I never find them.

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #12 on: May 22, 2010, 10:46:16 AM »

Computer_Commando

Hacker
            • Certifications: List
            • Experience: Expert
            « Reply #13 on: May 22, 2010, 02:46:00 PM »
            Thanks for the info guys. I assume this drive at least has the master/slave jumpers...or do I need them as well. I have mini jumpers for the motherboard. As for the mounting screws, anyone know the actual size, ie., #6-32? Machine screws and I, have an understanding...they disappear and I never find them.
            No jumper supplied.
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_case_screws