Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can not log on to XP because mouse will not work  (Read 1794 times)

PhilMc

Topic Starter

Rookie

Can not log on to XP because mouse will not work
    « on: May 25, 2010, 01:40:24 PM »
    Hi all, hope someone can help. Here goes. I have a Dell DM051 that I was using a Belkin KVM switch on. I removed the switch and connected everything back to the computer and everything appears to work fine except the mouse. When the computer starts up and gets to the windows XP log on screen, I cannot move the pointer over to my icon to select my user so that I can enter my password and continue. So, there I sit, on that blue XP log on screen, looking at the pointer that I can't move, beside the icon that I cannot select to continue.  Any ideas??     And while I do appreciate all help, please don't ask if the mouse is connected or stuff like that. I've tried several ideas from diffrent mouses to removing jumpers and batteries, etc. What I need is good advice from someone who knows computers. Thanks in advance,   Phil

Sodde

Rookie

Re: Can not log on to XP because mouse will not work
      « Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 06:13:10 PM »
      You can use the keyboard to do this. Don't be lazy, search on line for "operating XP with a keyboard" or something like that.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Beginner
      Re: Can not log on to XP because mouse will not work
      « Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 06:17:19 PM »
      Tab navigates amongst the various elements. Press tab until your username is highlight, then press enter, and then enter your password.

Of coruse this might not fix the mouse issue, but after it starts up you can try unplugging and plugging in the mouse (only if it's USB, not for a PS/2 mouse) and it might re-detect the mouse and install it. (this might occur after you log on anyway).

You can use the keyboard to do this. Don't be lazy, search on line for "operating XP with a keyboard" or something like that.
      Irony at it's finest.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.