Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows XP taskbar looks like safe mode/windows 98  (Read 5848 times)

erisu

Windows XP taskbar looks like safe mode/windows 98
« on: May 26, 2010, 05:56:10 AM »
Hi all

Got into an unexpected situation with my PC yesterday... came back from work, turned it on and it took forever to load the desktop. Then when it finally loaded, the taskbar looks like the safe mode/windows 98 one (I wasn't in safe mode).

Also, I can't connect to the Internet either... in the system tray, it's saying "Aquirring network connection..."

Here's some of the solutions I found and tried:

I have spydoctor and NOD32 installed... I have disabled both softwares but still cannot connect to the Internet.

I have right clicked, selected properties, clicked on the start menu tab and made sure it's NOT in classic start menu.

I have checked the DNS client (and other Internet client options) are set to Automatic

I scanned my PC using Malawarebytes' Anti-Malware but didn't detect anything.

I tried running SpyDoctor but when it get's to around 34% scanned, it just stays there....

Can anyone help?  :(

Many thanks!

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru

damaranag

Re: Windows XP taskbar looks like safe mode/windows 98
    « Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 06:12:28 AM »
    If the Start Menu looks like that of Windows 95/98/ME, right-click the Taskbar and change the appearance preferences to disable the Classic look..... :-\ :-\ :-\.

IT Might Fix ,

Nagendra  

flash3389

Starter

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 09:41:13 PM »
      I have this problem, too.  I have to restarting the DHCP everytime I turn my computer on now.  A few months ago I had Windows Defender Pro XP attack my computer.  I used Malewarebytes to get rid of it and even did the reg fix off the link from google.  Besides the start menu looking like Windows 95/95/ME I can't seem to access the windows update page.  Every time I try it says Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 06:05:45 AM »
      flash you should clik the link above then start your own Topic...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "