Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Wireless network suddenly slow?  (Read 4284 times)

Rapid_Dissent

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Wireless network suddenly slow?
« on: May 27, 2010, 12:42:28 PM »
So, my desktop computer (which has connectivity issues on and off; it's been about a year since my last bout), started being real slow on the internet. I'm getting ~30k/s average, with spikes of around 100k and 0.3k. I was messing around with Ubuntu a bit (still earning; great OS, but steep learning curve), and tried out the shutdown command. As expected, the computer shut down. I quickly started the computer again (< 5 sec after power down). When the system came back online, it was very reluctant to connect to my router, and painfully slow network speeds (slower than it is now). I have rebooted, shut down for 5 min, and tried the wireless in windows 7; same result every time. Interestingly, the wireless was far slower in windows than in Ubuntu (figured I screwed linux up somehow as I'm very prone to do). The connectivity problem went away after the computer initially connected to the router, quickly connecting to it after every reboot (except for after having rebooted the router itself; that took a bit longer than usual to reconnect).

I know it's on the desktop-side of the connection, because my Macbook has lost no performance whatsoever (~1.5m down, 300k up).

My pings are still solid, but the bandwidth somehow is severely constrained.

Quick hardware rundown:

Router : D-Link DIR-628

Desktop: MSI P-965 Platinum
D-Link DWA-552 (PCI)
Windows 7
Ubuntu 10.04

Thanks in advance, guys.
All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
-Thomas Jefferson

Rapid_Dissent

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Wireless network suddenly slow?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 08:47:02 PM »
So, just to humor myself, I decided to test and see if it was the same problem as last year (PSU dying on me), and sure enough, as soon as I disabled the second monitor, the internet sprung right back to life as though nothing had ever been wrong.  :||

Last year, my el cheapo 500W PSU started failing, and it took me a couple weeks to figure out, so I brought in the heavies and bought a 750W Antec   8)

Now, about a year later, the new expensive Juicificationer 7000 is already failing? wth?

Granted, I'm running a second monitor on a power-hungry video card (1x), and 3 internal HDD's, but that is EXACTLY why I bought an expensive name-brand PSU; to avoid PSU failures.

Can I get some thoughts, guys? It seems a bit ridiculous to me that it'd be failing this quick; am I wrong, is this a fluke, or are these beefy PSU's supposed to be treated like princesses?
All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
-Thomas Jefferson

P_90

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 09:22:20 AM »
    Well, i would think it is not your computer that is not having issues...it is your modem, try replacing the modem. try to go with a wireless ACTUAL dsl.

Sodde

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 10:02:43 AM »
      Without a doubt, Have the PSU tested first. Testers are cheap or I'm sure if you took the PSU into a tech he'd check it for you.
      I would also suggest that you do a calculation of power consumption when using all of the internal and peripheral devices. There's no way that your set up should reach 750w at any time but its useful to know how close you get.
      Expensive brand PSU's fail almost as often as cheaper ones so there's no guarantee there. The most common failure in these are blown cheap capacitors on boards from Asia. Regardless, unless its running very near its maximum output (doubtful), it should last a year. If a problem with the PSU is diagnosed, contacting the supplier or the manufacturer direct.

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 10:05:05 AM »
      Check the PSU because his internet speeds are slow???

Yeah, okay. And while you're there check for zebras.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 05:50:22 PM »

Yeah, duh, like he says, you check the obvious first. slow wireless network speeds are almost always caused by PSU issues!

On that note, the "obvious" thing to check here is to see if the same problem occurs with a wired connection. If so, then it <could> be the PSU, purposely sending the wrong amount of current to the specific network devices it wants to affect, somehow leaving RAM, CPU, and all the other devices completely untouched, which is impossible anyway since the VRM on the motherboard steps down the DC and routes it to the PCI devices.

Or, it could be a hardware issue- or, given that Linux still has faster speeds, a software one. Of course, if the wired connection works perfectly fine, then it's probably zebras. then it's probably an issue with the wireless card hardware, signal, or it's antenna. Or, of course, the software (what drivers are you using on Windows and Linux?)

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Sodde

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 08:07:49 PM »
        My apologies...I posted in the wrong thread ::)

Sodde

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 08:17:39 PM »
          No I didn't, this is the right thread :P....getting kinda late I guess.

Did any of you guys read the second thread? The part where he disconnects the monitor and Presto! he's back up to speed! No clues there?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 08:24:54 PM »

Yeah, okay. And while you're there check for zebras.
          Good Point!
          Those PUS  testers ...
          NEVER...
          check for Zebras.
            ::)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          « Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 04:13:01 AM »
          No I didn't, this is the right thread :P....getting kinda late I guess.

Did any of you guys read the second thread? The part where he disconnects the monitor and Presto! he's back up to speed! No clues there?
          ??? I cannnot find anything said that fits that description. Seems to me that the other thread says it only works when both monitors are connected:

Short version; I have two monitors, and when both of them are on, I have no problems with the network, but if I deactivate the second monitor in the system, I can barely maintain a connection with my wireless router.

Considering that... Does it exhibit the same behaviour in Ubuntu?

Sodde

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2010, 05:35:07 AM »
            Rapid_Dissent says > "So, just to humor myself, I decided to test and see if it was the same problem as last year (PSU dying on me), and sure enough, as soon as I disabled the second monitor, the internet sprung right back to life as though nothing had ever been wrong".

Did you read this part?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • BC-Programming.com
            « Reply #11 on: June 08, 2010, 05:51:32 AM »
            Rapid_Dissent says > "So, just to humor myself, I decided to test and see if it was the same problem as last year (PSU dying on me), and sure enough, as soon as I disabled the second monitor, the internet sprung right back to life as though nothing had ever been wrong".

Did you read this part?

ahh, I remembered that part but couldn't see it when I skimmed over it again.

How is the second monitor being disabled?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
            • Geek After Dark
              • Gekk9pm bnlog
            « Reply #12 on: June 08, 2010, 08:26:03 AM »
            Disabling the monitor has absolutely no effect on power supply performance.

quaxo

Guru
              • Yes
            • Experience: Guru
            « Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 09:41:19 AM »
            So, just to humor myself, I decided to test and see if it was the same problem as last year (PSU dying on me), and sure enough, as soon as I disabled the second monitor, the internet sprung right back to life as though nothing had ever been wrong.

Disabling the monitor has absolutely no effect on power supply performance.

I, too, fail to see the relationship between the power supply, the monitor, and the speed of his internet.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
            • Geek After Dark
              • Gekk9pm bnlog
            « Reply #14 on: June 08, 2010, 12:11:00 PM »
            Back on topic.
            He needs to run a wire directly from the router to his desktop.
            Or buy a new PCI wireless card. It sounds like the antenna is broke.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5684865&CatId=2688