Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: how do i solve window 7 logoff and shutdown problems?  (Read 7555 times)

ramtey

how do i solve window 7 logoff and shutdown problems?
« on: May 30, 2010, 09:43:11 PM »
my laptop with window 7 dont want to shut down until i press the power button.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: how do i solve window 7 logoff and shutdown problems?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 09:59:44 PM »
That's normally how you shut down the computer....You press the power button.

What exactly is the problem?

Salmon Trout

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 02:17:03 AM »
That's normally how you shut down the computer....You press the power button.

Really? If you mean the physical one on the front of the computer case, I don't, I go throught the OS shutdown procedure; this might be via the Start Orb/Button or whatever and "shut down", or it might be some command line stuff like shutdown /s or init 0 - it's a habit I got into to avoid crapping all over the file system.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 03:37:24 PM »
We have to remember ST, Carbon has been using mac hardware lately- you turn them off by pushing the power button and turn them on by throwing them down a flight of stairs.

Turning them on voids the warranty, too.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 06:19:20 PM »
 ;)

sojvcny

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 10:26:12 PM »
     ;D I love my mac!

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    « Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 12:31:28 AM »
    Funny guys, but irrelevant.  :P

Ramtey, could you explain in detail what it does when you tell it to shutdown? Does it appear to do anything or does it just remain at the desktop and continue running or what?

2x3i5x

Expert
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 06:50:09 PM »
    taking of not shutting down well,  I don't know if it's OS related or not. But I remember having old windows OS PC and when I press shut down, it would stop at a message stating that it was safe to shut down and so I had to press the power button to physically turn off the machine.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 08:07:31 PM »
    it would stop at a message stating that it was safe to shut down and so I had to press the power button to physically turn off the machine.

That's when the PC in question doesn't support ACPI. before about 1995-1996. (not sure... actually, it might have been a part of APM, but I don't think so, because APM was more a "hey, programs, I'm going to sleep" or "I'm shutting down the hard drive" or whatever. sure, the program could get "warned" that it is happening, but it cannot keep the event from happening or even do very much at all in the meantime.) And of course you'd have to have ACPI enabled properly and the correct settings for shut down to automatically shut down.

Also, W2k and higher hook the ACPI power event so when you press the front panel power button it's like pressing shut down in the start menu. So for all intents and purposes a "power button" shut-down is only dangerous if you force it by holding the button down for 5 seconds.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

killerb255

Adviser
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #9 on: June 13, 2010, 10:26:20 PM »
      my laptop with window 7 dont want to shut down until i press the power button.

When you click Start (the blue orb), and then "Shut Down" on the lower-right hand corner of the start menu, what happens?  Does it:

a) Do nothing?
      b) Freeze/crash?
      c) Actually try to shut down, but gets stuck on "Saving your settings"
      d) same as C), but stuck on "Shutting down"
      e) same as C), except "Installing Updates" or
      f) none of the above

If f), please specify.
      Quote from: talontromper
      Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.

johnjun1410

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2010, 11:59:41 AM »
        Go Control/power option..............
        and then setup the shut down option.
         *Link Removed*

kristain

Beginner

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2010, 12:51:23 AM »
          Have you ever tried to shut down Windows, only to have the shutdown sequence hang, or to have the computer reboot instead of shutting down? Shut down problems are one of the most common types of problems with the Windows operating system. At the same time though, they are also one of the problems that is most seldom resolved because shut down problems tend to take a back seat to more serious issues. Troubleshooting operating system shut down problems is easier than you might think though. In this article, I will share some techniques with you that you can use to resolve shut down problems on machines in your office.

quaxo

Guru
            • Yes
          « Reply #12 on: June 18, 2010, 01:56:32 AM »
          Have you ever tried to shut down Windows, only to have the shutdown sequence hang, or to have the computer reboot instead of shutting down? Shut down problems are one of the most common types of problems with the Windows operating system. At the same time though, they are also one of the problems that is most seldom resolved because shut down problems tend to take a back seat to more serious issues. Troubleshooting operating system shut down problems is easier than you might think though. In this article, I will share some techniques with you that you can use to resolve shut down problems on machines in your office.

Way to just copy and paste from what could be a number of any websites dating back to 2005! You make us proud.

Next time you feel like plagiarizing, could you please quote the text and provide the source you stol... er, I mean borrowed it from.

DivineRage002

Rookie

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2010, 08:24:02 AM »
            Way to just copy and paste from what could be a number of any websites dating back to 2005! You make us proud.

Next time you feel like plagiarizing, could you please quote the text and provide the source you stol... er, I mean borrowed it from.

Not only that but his post also brings absolutely nothing useful.

Meanwhile, ramtey. If your computer refuses to shut down, can you still press ctrl+atl+del, and see if a program is still running? Sometimes a program will have trouble shutting down, and the OS will endlessly wait for it.

aflredo12

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2010, 02:16:06 PM »
            Having a similar problem, but with my Desktop.  Gotta love my Macbook Air  !