Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Everything moving to the right  (Read 2476 times)

wheresthebox

Topic Starter

Everything moving to the right
    « on: June 05, 2010, 09:51:01 AM »
    I'm not sure how to even label this and have been searching for an answer all over but not finding anything.

First, here are the computer details:
    emachine T6212
    Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 3
    AMD Athlon 64 Processor, 3200+, 1.99 GHz, 1.87 GB of RAM

A few months ago we got a horrible virus that caused it to have to be completely reformatted, which a coworker who is knowledgeable about computers did for me.

It was fine for a while but now is having a new problem.  Some of the symptoms:
    When you click on the Start button, the menu flashes for a moment and then goes away.
    When you click on a desktop icon, it opens which program is farthest to the right in that row of icons.
    When you are in IE and go to a webpage that is wider than the screen, it scrolls to the right.  You can move it back to the left but it wont stay there.  Right now, this little editing window has stopped scrolling down so I can't see what I am typing.  I can scroll down to see what I wrote but once I start typing again, it starts jumping down and then back up with each keystroke.
    The moving to the right actually happens in any window that is too wide.  To open a file I have to open the my computer icon and change to a detail view, or it will open the file that is to the right in the list or icon view.

I am guessing we will need to get a new computer, but one issue is that we signed up with Carbonite but the backup has gotten interrupted and I can't get it to finish.   I am looking for any ideas so that I can get things working enough to at least get my files backed up.

Thank you!

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Everything moving to the right
    « Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 01:19:12 PM »
    Did you try system restore?

wheresthebox

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 05:28:58 PM »
      I tried it several times and it didn't change anything.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 05:50:38 PM »
      ...Right now, this little editing window has stopped scrolling down so I can't see what I am typing.  I can scroll down to see what I wrote but once I start typing again, it starts jumping down and then back up with each keystroke....
      That happens to me, too, but only with CH, nowhere else.