Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Internal modem not dialing up  (Read 2640 times)

kenny123

Internal modem not dialing up
« on: July 18, 2005, 04:00:01 AM »
I wonder if any of you people out there can help me.A friend of mine recently gave me a Dell PC and since the specs are superior to mine I am using it instead of my own one.The problem is the internal modem.The PC is telling me it is there and I have seen it myself. :) but when I try to dial out I cannot get a dialing tone.My ISP is AOL though I don`t think that is a factor.I can get online using a basic external modem.I have a program on the PC "Modem check" everything comes up as OK,except the dial tone.Is there anything I have to do to activate it.?As far as I know my friend was able to use it Ok but he is away at present.As I say,it`s no big deal,I just wanted to try and save space by using the internal modem,rather than the external one. ;)

Raptor

Re: Internal modem not dialing up
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2005, 05:05:03 AM »
Contact your ISP for configuration details. You may need to (re)configure the modem and Windows before you can connect to the Internet.

merlin_2

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2005, 05:16:14 PM »
Aol......dial up lan....or dsl/cable......more info is needed>....operating system is ?....modem 56k/usb??

kenny123

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2005, 02:24:28 PM »
Aol......dial up lan....or dsl/cable......more info is needed>....operating system is ?....modem 56k/usb??

:) I should have been more specific about the system.I use, AOL dialup,Windows xp professional and the modem is a Dell internal HCF 56K modem.I tried doing what Raptor says but it is not that.I am told the problem is with Windows xp.I originally had Windows 98 second edition on the PC and upgraded to Windows xp profesional and apparently it screws around with dial up connections.The reason I can connect using my external modem is because I installed AOL after Windows xp.I think I will just stick with that in the meantime.I am upgrading to AOL broadband soon,and that uses an external modem anyway.Thanks for the responses to my question though. ;)

merlin_2

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2005, 02:47:07 PM »
An hcf 56k should not cause any problems?/ remove  the external modem from the device manager and unplug it and re-boot.........now do the same for the 56k.....winxp will find  the 56k and should re-install the drivers for it.....<the speed it should run at is approx 48bps>

kenny123

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2005, 01:23:53 AM »
Thanks for the responses guys,I finally got the problem solved.Basically,because Windows xp had`nt been installed on the PC before,I had to enable the code line TCP/protocol for windows to activate the modem.
Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in the connection properties box.