Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Laptop screen turns white  (Read 4933 times)

wrwss

Topic Starter

Intermediate
  • PITTSBURGH,PA.
    Laptop screen turns white
    « on: July 18, 2005, 10:11:16 PM »
    Hi all,

Compaq Presario 1700 laptop, pIII-850mhz, 256mbram, 40gb harddrive, xp professional.

After about an hour of using laptop the screen goes all white from the middle and extending out to the edges. Is it a bad lcd screen? Scan for virus and spyware found nothing. If it is a screen, is it replacable?

Thanks for any help!
    WRWSS

merlin_2

Re: Laptop screen turns white
    « Reply #1 on: July 19, 2005, 06:10:18 AM »
    Type dxdiag in the run box and test for graphics......update the video driver......or roll it back.....download diagnostic program like sisoft sandra/aida32/belearic advisor.
    « Last Edit: July 19, 2005, 06:10:46 AM by merlin_2 »

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2005, 06:32:31 AM »
    Is the laptop still under warranty?

wrwss

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    • PITTSBURGH,PA.
      « Reply #3 on: July 19, 2005, 10:09:37 AM »
      No. It is far out of warranty. I will run the dxdiag when I get home tonight.
      WRWSS

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2005, 10:37:45 AM »
      If you wish to eliminate the chance that this is caused by software, load the BIOS and have it run for an hour or more to see if it still happens.

wrwss

Topic Starter

Intermediate
      • PITTSBURGH,PA.
        « Reply #5 on: July 19, 2005, 07:57:39 PM »
        Will work with external monitor and now the laptop screen is white from the moment it is turned on. Now also wont boot to windows, system 32 missing or corrupted. So now it is a screen and a harddrive I presume. Anybody want to buy this old laptop???
        WRWSS

merlin_2

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2005, 08:04:42 PM »
        NO......but  what is the screen mode set at....1024.....800....at the refresh rate *or what was it set at?....it maybe that the settings *you have are out of range with the graphics/video card......i would not dump it yet...........see if this can fixit....go into the bios setup....maybe f1/2 on boot.....and select.....the defaults opttion...and re-boot. and ^*check the above^*
        did you run  the  the program dixdiag.......?
        « Last Edit: July 19, 2005, 08:05:55 PM by merlin_2 »