Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Screen goes black and computer freezes when mouse touches start button...help!  (Read 5526 times)

Jessi

Topic Starter

Starter

It's the weirdest thing. My computer has been fine until these past two days. Whenever I use my mouse to click on the start menu, immediately my screen goes black. The computer itself is still running, but it freezes up and won't do a normal shutdown if I hit the power button once.

It seems like it has something to do with Windows 7, so I tried doing a repair. It didn't work, though. :(

I've never heard of anything like this before, and so I'm wondering if anyone else has. If there's no solution, I'll end up having to reformat my hard drive and reinstall Windows all over again and start from scratch. I'd rather not do that though, so...help!

Thanks.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re-install the mouse drivers...
    Try a BRAND new mouse...

We don't want you to have to reinstall either...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

JJ 3000

Egghead
    • Experience: Familiar
    What happens when you press the windows key on your keyboard?
    Save a Life!
    Adopt a homeless pet.
    http://www.petfinder.com/

Jessi

Topic Starter

Starter

It does nothing. There's no reaction in the computer at all when I do anything, and the screen stays completely black. The only thing I can do is hold the power button in to shut it down. :/ Sometimes the cursor isn't even near the start button when it happens. It seems like it keeps getting worse...

And I know it's not the mouse because we plugged my computer into a different setup (different monitor, keyboard, mouse, everything) and the same thing was happening.

JJ 3000

Egghead
      • Experience: Familiar
      Tap the F8 key repeatedly as the computer is starting up. This will open the advanced startup menu. Choose safe mode from the list of options. Does the screen still go black in safe mode?
      Save a Life!
      Adopt a homeless pet.
      http://www.petfinder.com/

deargodpleasehelp

Dear Jessi, I have seen many computer virus videos and descriptions online.

I have seen many types of trojans that have the same reactions as you mentioned.
      Do you have an antivirus program installed?

What happens if you click an icon on your desktop, E.G; Recycle bin?
      Or, like previously mentioned, can you access safe mode on that computer?

Do you have the install disk? If so, please try using the repair option in the menu after inserting the disk and rebooting.

My suggestions.
      ---
      Sources: My knowledge.

Jessi

Topic Starter

Starter

It does not seem to happen in safe mode. If it does, I wasn't in safe mode long enough to see if it would happen, but usually it happens in a matter of minutes. So I think it's fine in safe mode.

I tried doing a repair from the install disk, but nothing changed. Like I said, it's getting worse. Now it's triggered by pure randomness. In the beginning, as long as I kept my mouse in the desktop and not near the start menu, it would be okay and I could be on for hours. But now, it goes off whenever. I was trying to transfer files onto a different hard drive, and while I was doing that transfer, it happened. So that's how I know it's getting worse.

There is no antivirus program installed on this computer, so I guess a virus could be an explanation. However, I was using my computer before and it was perfectly fine. I turned it off and left for a week, came back, turned it on, and it immediately started doing this. I don't see how a virus could have been caught during that time, but hey! There doesn't seem to be any other possible answer.

If it is a virus, is there any way to fix it? Or will I just have to do an OS wipeout?

Jessi

Topic Starter

Starter

Problem fixed. Turns out it was the graphics card. We took it out, and it's been running fine. Strange!

Thanks for everyone's help!