Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Moving Folder Verification  (Read 2592 times)

iONik

Topic Starter

Beginner

Moving Folder Verification
    « on: July 01, 2010, 11:55:59 AM »
    hello all,

I was hoping to get some help on an issue that my mother keeps having (she's 73).
    She does a bit of photo manipulation ans moving files and things around using drag-and-drop methods.
    My question is: Is there any way to setup a verification prompt when dragging and dropping a folder into another folder? She does this inadvertently and then spends hours trying to understand where her folder or file have gone!

If not a windows tweak or option, then maybe a DOS Batch file to detect folder moves, Whatever....

Thanks

iONik

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Moving Folder Verification
    « Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 11:57:20 AM »
    If she drops it in the wrong place, press CTRL+Z to undo.

iONik

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 10:51:31 PM »
      If she drops it in the wrong place, press CTRL+Z to undo.

Most of the time she doesn't know that she does it till she finds it missing.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 11:28:47 PM »
      The easiest way would be to do the search option since they are just photos or jpeg files. Just click on "My Computer" and click the "Search" option. Click on "Pictures, music or video". Put a check mark on pictures and photos. Click on "Use advanced search". Click on the down arrow key(Look in) to drop on the menu and choose on the drive/s you want to search.

2x3i5x

Expert
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 11:45:50 PM »
      Try this

Right click on the Windows task bar, go to properties,
      start menu, customize, advanced, uncheck enable drag and
      drop.

Maybe that would work? I happened to come across this suggestion before, forgot where though. That should disable drag and drop, force your mom to stop doing it.

iONik

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 02:48:03 PM »
        Try this
        Right click on the Windows task bar, go to properties,
        start menu, customize, advanced, uncheck enable drag and
        drop.

Maybe that would work? I happened to come across this suggestion before, forgot where though. That should disable drag and drop, force your mom to stop doing it.

Now this is good to know, but change is a difficult thing as well. She would have to press copy, Paste, cut, paste, and in the end would probably get her into more trouble than before.

Now where's Microsoft when ya need them, ya know the Microsoft that want double and triple verification for everything? ...like are you sure you want to send "bla.bla" to the recycle bin then are you sure you want to empty the recycle bin.  All we need is one simple verification, are you sure you want to move this folder and it's contents to that folder?  ...and of course a way to disable it. Pretty bloody simple. Do you think the DOS people would be able to come up with something?

iONik

2x3i5x

Expert
        • Experience: Familiar
        « Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 03:54:56 PM »
        You can set the drag and drop or copy and paste files confirmation prompt

Localy:
         [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
         Settings\Zones\0]

"1802"=dword:00000001

AND on the intranet:
         [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\1]

"1802"=dword:00000001

SOURCE: http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-3618292.php

Found something, this was for windows 2000, but it may work in XP. Yyou may give this a shot. you're editing the registry, yes but if you're worried something goeswrong, make a restore point before you do it.