Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 60gb of junk data randomly written to hard drive, can't delete, need help.  (Read 2510 times)

nickazure

i started my computer up this morning and noticed a problem on my 1tb wd my book external.  i have a rather sizeable collection of music and movies, split into 18 folders, each containing roughly 20gb of media.  i noticed this morning that one of the folders was much, much larger than it should be.  after some digging i found the location of the problem, but i have no. idea. at. all. how to remove it.  i included a screenshot - it appears to just be junk data, but i'm not certain about that.  i tried using a program called Unlocker to delete the junk data, but it failed, even when i ran it at startup.  i don't have enough money to go out and buy a new external, so if there's a way to fix this i'd really appreciate it.

if it matters, i'm running windows xp on a gateway e-series tower, 2.6ghz p4 ht northwood processor, 1.25gb ddr-400 ram, 40gb system hdd.

[recovering disk space - old attachment deleted by admin]

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: strange problem, need help.
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 08:14:19 AM »
I would run chkdsk /r on that drive...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "