Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: changing hard drive  (Read 2951 times)

Brianclay

Topic Starter

changing hard drive
    « on: July 11, 2010, 05:33:23 AM »
    I have an ACER TravelMate 2480 when I press F2 and enter the setup, I get a screen titled PhoenixBios Setup Utility. This screen only gives me the option of Information, Main, Security, Boot and Exit NO ADVANCED option, having changed the hard drive I would like to change the settings for the new hard drive because I get NTldr is missing on start up. The new drive has XP allready loaded.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: changing hard drive
    « Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 06:23:04 AM »
    Check out computerhope forum http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000465.htm. It may give you what you're looking for.

Brianclay

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 06:38:00 AM »
      Hi Jason   It tells me that the hard drive is not set up correctly in bios and therefore need to change the IDE config, but my bios page has no option to change any hardware settings ie no advanced page any sugestions?

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 11:13:40 AM »
      ... changed the hard drive I would like to change the settings for the new hard drive because I get NTldr is missing on start up. The new drive has XP allready loaded.
      So, you did not install the hard drive in this computer and then install Win XP?  XP was installed on that hard drive in some other computer, right?  If so, this is probably the cause of your problem.

Do you have a legitimate (genuine Microsoft) disc for Windows XP?  How "new" is this hard drive? 

The Acer TravelMate 2480 came with Windows Vista installed but only 512MB of RAM, right?  It will support up to 2GB of RAM.  Are you still using it with 512MB or have you added RAM?

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
      « Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 07:18:50 PM »
      Have you read the redirected forum on "new hard drive"? As stated, a pre-installed OS on your hard drive will not function or cause error upon loading/booting. Assuming that your replacement hard drive(new?) is the same as the previous. After properly connecting a blank/clear hard drive, You  need to install the OS on your laptop with a compatible Windows XP version.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      « Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 09:02:04 PM »
      The new drive has XP allready loaded.

New hard drives never come with an OS preinstalled.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
      « Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 10:16:59 PM »
      New hard drives never come with an OS preinstalled.
      Yes what i mean is in his first post was his hard drive has an OS Win xp installed on his new installed hard drive.   :)
      Never meant about all new hard drives. 8)