Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer Black Screen With Cursor  (Read 2690 times)

ariaaria

Computer Black Screen With Cursor
« on: July 11, 2010, 12:03:38 PM »
My computer is an HP Pavillion dv9000 with around 3 GB RAM and 300 GB hard drive space. That may not help in my situation because when I start my computer, it all loads fine. You hear the tune of windows Vista and it brings me to the login screen to put in my password (It's VIsta Home Premium to be specific). I input my password and it logs in. It then brings me to a black page with only my cursor showing. I CAN run task manager and when I check how many processes I'm running, I'm only running 9 processes:
csrss.exe
winlogon.exe
nvvsvc.exe
dwm.exe
msfeedssync.exe
PresentationSettings.exe
taskeng.exe
explorer.exe
taskmgr.exe

This black screen happened after I ran system restore due to my computer becoming so slow that it could be deemed unresponsive. Since that didn't work out, I started my computer and pressed F8 continuously and reran system restore to a point farther back in time. That didn't fix a thing and now I'm stuck only with these 9 processes, my task manager, my cursor, the login screen, and the vista symbol at the beginning. I'm on a secondary computer posting this because my first one is completely useless at the moment.

What should I do to fix it? Please help. Thank you in advance for reading my post thus far.

truenorth

Guru

Re: Computer Black Screen With Cursor
    « Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 05:11:42 PM »
    I had essentially the same issue not long ago and it resulted from a conflict with the attempted use of some software. The company that created the software eventually determined it WAS a problem of conflict with their software.They provided me with an ISO image that enabled me to "restore the MBR" (master boot record). I do not know if this could be where your issue and solution lie but i mention it in case another higher pay grade CH member might see this as a solution to your problem and give you more complete guidance to enable you to do it. P.S. Welcome to the CH forums and good luck truenorth