Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Missing Volume Icon in Taskbar  (Read 8833 times)

02bin3

Missing Volume Icon in Taskbar
« on: July 18, 2010, 07:46:46 AM »
For whatever reason, the Volume Icon in the Taskbar was missing when I booted up my Windows 7, 64 bit, yesterday.  I looked in the Sound area of the Control Panel and there was nothing there that would help, then I  posed a generalized question regarding missing sound icons in my Search Engine and found that the Icon for Sound was residing in the Clock in the Task Bar???   Who would have figured that one?  Anyway, I right clicked on the Clock and clicked on Properties and there it was.  However, I couldn't turn it back on as it was "greyed" out.  Have any of you run into this problem and solution?  Thanks

talontromper

Hopeful
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
Re: Missing Volume Icon in Taskbar
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 01:14:31 AM »
have you tried restoring the icons to default behavior? or turning the icon back on? what seems to be your problem?

1) no icon, no sound?

2) no icon and sound?

this is the way i was talking about restoring to default. first rt. click the program bar like you did. then go to turn system icons on/off. then select restore to default behaviors. hope this helps
"One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time." - Andre Gide

oneit

Rookie
    « Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 02:09:09 AM »
    This is quite a common problem first of all have you tried restarting the pc.

If that doesn't help then you could try these steps.
    1. Back up the Registry by creating a restore point.
    2. Go to Start > Run (or Windows-key + R), type in regedit and hit OK.
    3. Navigate to the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion \TrayNotify.
    4. Delete the values IconStreams and PastIconsStream.
    5. Open up the Task Manager (Ctrl + Shift + Esc), go to the Processes tab, select explorer.exe and click End Process.
    6. Click New Task at the top-left of the window.
    7. In the message box that pops up type in explorer.exe and hit OK.
    8. Explorer.exe will reload, and the missing icons should now be back in the system-tray where they belong.
    9. Then if the volume bar isnt there, go to taskbar properties (where the volume was gray) and simply tick the box.
    Brett Smith
    Director
    One IT Ltd
    http://www.oneit.co.nz

02bin3

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 06:39:02 PM »
    Well, a thunderstorm solved the problem for me.  We lost power and when power was restored and I booted up my computer, the Sound Icon was right where it was supposed to be.   Thanks to both of you for your replies.  I should have tried rebooting BEFORE I went looking for help.  Duh!!!

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 06:50:14 PM »
    Thank God for thunderboomers...... ;D

Although i have to admit in my 18 plus Years doin this it's the 1st time i've heard of it fixing an issue instead of creating one....

8)
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

talontromper

Hopeful
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 12:53:33 PM »
    Thank God for thunderboomers...... ;D

Although i have to admit in my 18 plus Years doin this it's the 1st time i've heard of it fixing an issue instead of creating one....

8)

AMEN, I would have to agree. i had a friend that lost a couple of desktops to thunderboomers. thankfully i have been diligent in having adequate surge protection as all should on electronics of any kind
    "One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time." - Andre Gide