Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Safe mode with Command prompt doesn't work....  (Read 34335 times)

netfreak10

Topic Starter

Starter

Safe mode with Command prompt doesn't work....
    « on: July 20, 2010, 07:01:25 AM »
    Hope the subject makes my problem clear to you all !!!

But still here is the same for you....

When I boot the computer and press F8, it shows options to boot in various modes...

I choose "Safe mode with Command prompt".

But instead of displaying me the command prompt on the login screen  it shows me the normal login screen....

What should I do to resolve the issue? I want the command prompt please somebody help me !!!!!!!!!

All your replies are much much appreciated and lots of thanks in advance !!!!!!!!!
    <color=BLUE>Lo! Men have become the tools of their tools</color>

killerb255

Adviser
      • Experience: Expert
      Re: Safe mode with Command prompt doesn't work....
      « Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 01:12:56 PM »
      I could be wrong (I haven't tried this yet), but I think using that option in Vista/7 results in a logon screen prompting you for administrative credentials before you can get to the command prompt.
      Quote from: talontromper
      Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.

netfreak10

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 09:59:53 PM »
        Thanks for the reply dude....
        Yes you are right...
        But the same happens when we try to open the recovery console using the Windows CD or the option "Repair your computer"....
        I have tried with "Safe mode with Command prompt" and it has displayed the command prompt on my friend's computer but doesn't display it on mine.....

Hope you get my problem... Yeah???

oneit

Rookie
          « Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 03:10:44 AM »
          Can you not login because you don't know the password.
          Why do you need to get to the command prompt? Can you not just start the PC normally.
          Brett Smith
          Director
          One IT Ltd
          http://www.oneit.co.nz

netfreak10

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 03:31:59 AM »
            No dude....
            I just want to know why the Command prompt doesn't appear when we try to boot the computer in "Safe mode with Command prompt" .....

the purpose is to reset the password from the command prompt in case th user is not able to log in.....

killerb255

Adviser
              • Experience: Expert
              « Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 09:18:07 AM »
              So let me get this straight:

When you start up the computer in Safe Mode with Command Prompt, you get the logon screen. 

When you enter a CORRECT user name and password, you get the Windows Desktop?  That doesn't make sense.

If you boot from the Windows 7 DVD and try to get to the command prompt, you're asked for a user name and password.  When you put in correct credentials, you get the normal desktop?  That doesn't happen.  Period.

Now...the reason your friend gets the command prompt and not a logon screen is because he/she has a blank admin password, and, as a result, does not get asked for credentials.
              Quote from: talontromper
              Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.

Jjm701

• Experience: Beginner
                « Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 03:11:46 PM »
                so did anyone ever find the answer to this issue - I can't find it anywhere else!

patio

• Genius
                • Maud' Dib
                  • Yes
                « Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 03:21:35 PM »
                It's right above you...

The Admin settings on each machine are different.
                " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Jjm701

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 03:26:54 PM »
                  I think I need to make myself clearer.
                  I changed my windows password last night. I know exactly what I changed it to but it won't work (nor will the old password) so now I am locked out of windows. I tried the safe mode w command prompt - but it does not bring me to command prompt - it brings me to the user id screen & asks for my password - which puts me back to square one.
                  If the answer was right above me I must be blind or stupid (both are possible I guess).
                  Can someone give a step by step answer to this dummy pretty please?????