Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dell Laptop Screen goes blank at Start Up  (Read 3432 times)

KBR81911

Topic Starter

Starter

Dell Laptop Screen goes blank at Start Up
    « on: July 20, 2010, 05:29:20 PM »
    I have a Dell Inspiron B130 that all of a sudden started having issues at start up. When I start the the laptop, sometimes, not all the time, the screen will go blank at different times during start up. Sometimes it will do it as the dell screen comes on, sometimes when the Windows Screen comes on. Once it does it, it will stay that way until I shut it down by holding down the power button.

I see that the screen goes blank, I will shut it down before it completely starts up. When I restart it, it will start up and go to the screen that says that the computer did not shut down correctly, and it asks how I want to continue. If I choose, 'Start Windows Normally' it will start up and the screen is fine. Other than the start up, I have had the laptop left idle long enough for the power save to shut down the screen, where it wouldnt come back on. I disabled all of those power options until I see what other options I have to fix it.

I have the experience in computer repair andc I replaced the motherboard in the laptop about a year ago, and have had no problems since. I made sure when I had the problem a few days ago, that all the screen connections were good. They seemed to be fine, so I replaced the keyboard and screen bezel. Does anyone have any ideas of what I may try. Of course the laptop is almost 4 years old and out of warranty. It may just come down to new laptop time, but I have enough spare parts to basically rebuild the whole computer....other than the screen.

Thanks!

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Dell Laptop Screen goes blank at Start Up
    « Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 06:08:26 PM »
    All indications of a component on the verge of failure.  BIOS and/or Windows is having difficulty identifying it, so it freezes.  If not motherboard, could be hard drive, optical drive.

KBR81911

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 03:16:16 PM »
      I switched out hard drives and it does the same thing. I guess the next step would be the motherboard. Oh boy....

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 03:48:52 PM »
      I switched out hard drives and it does the same thing. I guess the next step would be the motherboard. Oh boy....
      Better to sell it for parts; I got a $100 for my Dell that didn't work.

KBR81911

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 03:03:29 PM »
        OK here is the weird thing. I never really thought about until last night. When I have the laptop plugged in, it seems to boot up just fine. When it is on battery power is when I have the issues. Does not matter if the battery is fully charged or not. Anyway, Im sure I need to replace the motherboard, or just suck it up and buy a new one. If I do buy a new one, I will definately sell this as well as the spare parts.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 09:50:09 PM »
        I'd replace the battery if it were me which it isn't...

HINT they're not cheap so only you can decide the value factor from where you are sitting...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "