Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: XP reformat  (Read 3045 times)

Ringmaster

Topic Starter

XP reformat
    « on: July 25, 2010, 08:49:24 PM »
    Trying to reformat a buddies computer. He's running windows xp and for some reason i can't stop it before windows loads. I put in the windows install disc but i can't seem to boot from the disc either..

I was wondering if anyone had any idea how i could change boot priorities to the disc or to reboot from a disc?

Any help would be greatly apreciated, i'm a little stumped on this one  ???

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: XP reformat
    « Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 09:10:00 PM »
    There are key combinations to hit at bootup to enter the BIOS are listed at the bottom of the screen...
    Most common ones are F10 F12 or Delete...
    Once you get into the BIOS you need to select the primary boot device and set the CD drive at 1st......remember after setting it as 1st boot priority to press F10 to save changes and Exit...
    Then you sould be good to go...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Ringmaster

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 09:21:46 PM »
      it wasn't listed on the bottom of the screen, i found something that told me i could enter bios by hitting f2 even if it didn't show up.

Oh yeah it's a dell

anyway i made the cd the first bootable device, the screen still didn't show that message that  says to hit F2 or F? to run from a disc. This thing is like a pentium 3 it's pretty old. Could it be one of those old computers that just won't boot from a disc? Then it might not show right?

i'm coming close to kicking this computer. So changing boot options doesn't seem to work anyway, can I just tell the computer to boot from the disk without waiting for the screen?

pcs365_2

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 02:50:10 AM »
        Hi,
        It will not ask you to press F2 to boot from CD, however to enter BIOS SETUP you need to press either F2 or F12 depending on the model.
        Make sure you have got Bootable OS CD to install operating system. Follow the below mentioned steps:
        1). Turn on your computer and press F2 or F12 (Depending on the model) to enter BIOS SETUP and set First Boot from CD/DVD.
        2). Insert the Bootable OS CD and restart your computer.
        3). Wait till it asks you to "PRESS ANY KEY TO BOOT FROM CD" and hit "ENTER"
        4).  Let the computer boot from CD and follow the set up screen.

Hope this works

PCS365.2
        Bangalore.

Allan

• Mastermind
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 05:32:45 AM »
        As soon as the system is turned on start tapping the F2 key. Keep tapping it until you get into the bios, then you have to change the boot order and move the cd drive to the top.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 08:35:58 AM »
        As soon as the system is turned on start tapping the F2 key. Keep tapping it until you get into the bios, then you have to change the boot order and move the cd drive to the top.

And after making these changes press F10 to "Save changes and Exit BIOS" and answer Yes at the prompt...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "