Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Screensaver won't start  (Read 2847 times)

Hopester Doofus

Topic Starter

Adviser

• Hope-ing To Help
    Screensaver won't start
    « on: July 24, 2005, 12:25:54 AM »
    I posted this once before, but I'm trying again. My screensaver in XP stops coming on, for no apparent reason. I know that cordless mice sometimes cause this problem, but I'm not using one. I never have a problem getting it started again - just go into Desktop Properties and make some kind of change and click Apply. And it'll last for a few hours, coming on after a couple of minutes like it's supposed to. But then I'll do some work, leave the machine, and notice later that the screensaver never started up again. It seems to happen randomly, not after I close out of any particular application.
    « Last Edit: July 24, 2005, 12:27:42 AM by DabbaDoo »
    There’s no limit to what you can achieve if you don’t mind who gets the credit.

Raptor

Re: Screensaver won't start
    « Reply #1 on: July 24, 2005, 03:22:51 AM »
    What applications are running in the background? Some programs may force the screensaver to be disabeled whilst operating.

Also make certain that if you are using an optical mouse, that it is not placed on a reflective surface.

I always set my monitor to go into stand-by mode after 3 minutes. Screensavers are a thing of the past with modern monitors.

Can't save enough power with the entire human race gone rampant.
    « Last Edit: July 24, 2005, 03:23:51 AM by Raptor »

Hopester Doofus

Topic Starter

Adviser

• Hope-ing To Help
      Re: Screensaver won't start
      « Reply #2 on: July 24, 2005, 11:37:32 AM »
      Thanks, Rap. I always close out of everything when I'm done working, and I'm using an optical mouse on a black mousepad. I would assume that if the screensaver isn't kicking in, then standby mode won't either, as they're both triggered by the same settings.
      « Last Edit: July 24, 2005, 11:37:52 AM by DabbaDoo »
      There’s no limit to what you can achieve if you don’t mind who gets the credit.

merlin_2