Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer won't give display, monitor instantly goes into power saving mode  (Read 9936 times)

EN32

Topic Starter

Rookie

hi all, the title states what my problem is, when i switch my pc on the monitor goes straight into power save mode, no chance of doing anything, tried the cable and monitor with another pc, worked fine, i have 2 disk drives, tried booting from a windows disk but whichever cd drive has the data cable plugged in doesn't work. Fast reples will be hugely appreciated

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    • Experience: Beginner
    Please post computer(CPU) specs that your having trouble with. How old is your CPU? Does it have any history of unwanted performance such as virus or malware infection, thermal/heat condition(s). Have you access BIOS setup utility on power management setup and hardware monitor setup?

EN32

Topic Starter

Rookie

its quite an old computer but never given me troube before, i can't post  exact specs as i cannot get on my computer. All i can remember is that the processor is an AMD Sempron 1.8ghz, 1.5gb RAM, geforce 5500 graphics and the motherboard is made by gigabyte, is all i know,i can't get to any settings on my pc as i get no picture from the computer

mdoggy39

Beginner
      • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
        first thing i would try is to change out vid card and see

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
        • Experience: Beginner
        Can you be more specific when you say "it goes to power saving mode"?

Accessless

Adviser
          • Yes
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced
        hi all, the title states what my problem is, when i switch my pc on the monitor goes straight into power save mode, no chance of doing anything, tried the cable and monitor with another pc, worked fine, i have 2 disk drives, tried booting from a windows disk but whichever cd drive has the data cable plugged in doesn't work. Fast reples will be hugely appreciated

Did you change anything before this happened? E.g. drivers, hardware, BIOS settings, etc. Are there any beeps at all once you start the computer? A healthy rig always gives one beep. I'm assuming that when you switch it on that the fans all spin up and the lights come on. If you haven't changed anything (don't forget to check if kids got to it) then  Try these steps:

1) Re-seat graphics card and RAM. See if it works.
        2) Remove different sticks of RAM. See if it works.
        3) Reset the BIOS. See if it works.
        4) Try a different graphics card if available.
        5) Try a different power supply or try your power supply in another appropriate PC.

Can you be more specific when you say "it goes to power saving mode"?

He means that when he switches the computer on the monitor turns off due to no signal being received.
        « Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 02:41:37 AM by Accessless »

EN32

Topic Starter

Rookie

firstly thanks for the replies :)
          Nobody had touched the computer in 2 weeks, i switched it on and thats how it was, i've ordered a new graphics card so thats on the way, i've reset the bios so that didn't work, and yes it powers up all fine , loud as ever -.-
          But i still haven't worked out the CD drive problem, any ideas?
          Will update you when my graphics card arrives

EN32

Topic Starter

Rookie

solved! When trying to reseat RAM one of the chips wouldn.t sit properly, left it out and it worked :) THANK YOU =D