Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows XP mouse freezing  (Read 2893 times)

sophie306

Windows XP mouse freezing
« on: July 31, 2010, 12:05:03 PM »
I am asking on behalf of my mother.  Windows XP, starts up then freezes on the desktop, cannot move the mouse at all.  I have checked it is in the back ok, the mouse moves on start up.  I have tried to look in safe mode what this could be but this is beyond my level.  I have done system restore etc.  The PC came with no boot disks etc, all preloaded.

KornmonGrim

Rookie

Re: Windows XP mouse freezing
    « Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 05:53:52 PM »
    Hello, sophie306

Please follow my instructions exactly and correctly carefully. This may or may not solve your computer problem. [Disclaimer:] Please be aware i am not liable or responsible for anything that happens to your computer.

Turn on your computer and press F8 repeatedly until it comes up with a black screen and choose the following option:

Boot Windows XP [Version] in safe mode.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When you are logged in, if you can log in safe mode then do the following:

Press and hold Ctrl Alt, then while holding Ctrl and Alt press Delete.

It will open a window and at the top left corner it will be named  Task Manager.

Look down to the bottom middle of the window and reply the:

Processes:

CPU Usage:

Physical Memory:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Click the Start button then, click Run.

A window should come up with the name Run.

In the text box of Run type in msconfig.

It will open a window and in that window click the Startup tab.

Reply with the Start up Item Name, Manufacturer & Command. This may take some time.

Navigate to the following page and follow the instructions to see if you are infected.

http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,46313.0.html
    Do not reply or post in the topic linked on this page.

Reply with all the logs & answers to my questions in this topic.

Is your computer a Netbook, Laptop, Desktop?

Does it have a cd drive?help

If none of this can solve your problem please wait for someone else to help you or if you can go get it fixed.

Best of Luck,
    KornmonGrim

KornmonGrim helping people with their computer needs for free.