Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: iBook won't recover with original CDs. Want to downgrade  (Read 6271 times)

jacksonc

Topic Starter

Rookie

iBook won't recover with original CDs. Want to downgrade
    « on: July 31, 2010, 08:40:52 PM »
    Hi,

I have an iBook g4 and it is great.  I had os x 10.4 but got an upgrade cd to 10.5.  Thus really slowed the computer down tones.  I have now decided to downgrade back using the original recovery CDs that came with the iBook.  I put the cd in, clicked restart entered password, it restarted but then showed a small file with a question mark for a sec then a Mac icon in the same sized folder.  And then continued booting the 10.5 operating system.  Does anybody know how to stop this and recover?  I tried to partition the hard drive but the same thing happened. 

Any help welcomed thanks

agreimann

Re: iBook won't recover with original CDs. Want to downgrade
    « Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 04:10:04 PM »
    Apple lets you know, but I would be glad to help. Basically, knowing you have a PowerPC (Apple iBook G4), your parameter RAM needs to be reset, since a previous reinstall temporarily made your Mac forget the exact location of the bootloader so it looks for a minute. All you need to do is boot up, and press Cmd+Opt+P+R. On the second chime, let go, and now to wrap up: Go to the Apple menu -> System Preferences... -> Startup Disk -> Choose the disk you want to start up on (like "Macintosh HD Mac OS X v10.4.11") and click Restart. In the sheet that rolls out, click Restart.

Problem solved. It's literally that easy.

jacksonc

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 11:48:08 PM »
      The first part worked with the second chime, but i tryed to select the cd to start up on and i still go the same result the second time.  I booted, pushed the required keys, it restarted again, i herd the chime, i let go, it booted into 10.5, i went to system preferences bla bla bla, selected the restart it restarted BUT got the same boot as i described above, saw the mac icon and question mark then it continued to boot to 10.5. i tryed again to no avail.  Oh and when you say  "Macintosh HD Mac OS X v10.4.11" I do not have a HD with mac 10.4 on it, but i do have a cd. By this do you mean the cd? that could be the problem.  Oh and if it helps, the cd is 10.4.2.

socrates

Apprentice

• I know nothing except for the fact of my ignorance
        • Yes
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 09:24:07 AM »
      The first part worked with the second chime, but i tryed to select the cd to start up on and i still go the same result the second time.  I booted, pushed the required keys, it restarted again, i herd the chime, i let go, it booted into 10.5, i went to system preferences bla bla bla, selected the restart it restarted BUT got the same boot as i described above, saw the mac icon and question mark then it continued to boot to 10.5. i tryed again to no avail.  Oh and when you say  "Macintosh HD Mac OS X v10.4.11" I do not have a HD with mac 10.4 on it, but i do have a cd. By this do you mean the cd? that could be the problem.  Oh and if it helps, the cd is 10.4.2.

Jackson, if you did those steps and then saw the question mark that means the disc you inserted is not a bootable disc with your mac.  If the disc isn't retail version (or the disc that came with that model mac), then it won't work.  For instance, you can't take a Mac OS X 10.4.2 installer from an iMac and put it in an iBook.  It either needs to be retail or from the same model computer.

jacksonc

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 01:15:22 AM »
        thank you for replying.  I am sure that they are the original cds.  I think it is something to do with the fact that 10.5 doesn't recognise Classic programs (which the installation CD seem to have for some reason).  I have now tried creating an image of Mac OS X Install Disc 1 and hopefully i can use disk utility to restore from that image.  I just dint understand why this would happen.  If the image doesn't work, i will ask for more great help.  Thanks for you replies.

jacksonc

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 01:33:07 AM »
          Well I have found the problem.  My family also has a Mac Mini from the same year and had the same operating system discs because of this.  I thought that I would just test to see if my Apple iBook would boot up with Disc 1 of Mac Mini CD and to my suprise it worked.  I then tried my original iBook G4 and it didnt boot. 
          I now clearly know that the iBook G4 that came with my machine does not boot or really work.  Thanks for all the help.  It does look like a completely original CD the only difference between them that i could see was the size of the system folder (bigger for the iBook) and the AHT versions are different (1.1 for Mac Mini and 2.5 for the iBook).  Both operating systems are the same (10.4.2)